Roofing underlayment should whole roof be covered?

I currently getting my roof done. The roofers just did my garage yesterday. It look kinda odd to me, why wasn’t the whole roof covered with underlayment. They stopped with the underlayment 1 foot before the ridge, is this standard? they later shingled the whole thing!

Laziness. Pure and simple.

1 Like

It doesn’t appear to be fastened correctly either.

1 Like

It looks like your roofer is adding on last joint of decking. Perhaps he hasn’t completely installed the synthetic felt paper becuase he needs to complete the decking install first.

Heck, at least he papered in the rest of it.

1 Like

Like the long jeans under the sneaker, very safe.

what i want to know is, is that standard not to cover the rest of the roof with underlayment?
cause they just finish placing shingle over the area without any underlayment

Standard is to cover the whole roof. If they skipped that last 8" and shingles it the same day I wouldn’t be worried about it.

1 Like

Isn’t the underlayment the last system of defense if shingles failed? they still haven’t place the ridge caps on, should I say something now to their boss and have them redo the underlayment?

I wouldn’t be concerned about it. If synthetics and organic underlayments prevented leaks, there would never be repairs. You have 6k nails poking holes in your underlayment when the shingles are nailed on. If you were to press a manufacture about underlayments, they would say it isnt required for manufactures warranty. Certainteed didn’t require it in their shingle master programs of the early 2k’s. Underlayments were the fire rating of shingles before shingles had a fire rating. They also prevent shingles from sticking to the deck, keep your deck dry during transition and keep my footing while working on your roof. If they’ll warranty it for you, I’d sleep good.

2 Likes

Lazy but not a big deal.
Underlayment is a temporary cover while they replace your roof.