Which metal roof panel?

Hello, i am a owner builder and am trying to decide on which panel to use on my house. I think i have narrowed it down to sl-16 snap lock or 5v crimp. The roof is about 20 square, the sl-16 is about $900 more. The roof is mostley 6/12 with a 13/12 section 26’ long which all transitions to a 3/12 wrap around porch, No hips or valleys. I like the idea of few exposed fsatners with the sl-16 and it seems this would go up faster than the 5v crimp. The roof is decked with7/16 osb with tamco metal and tile over the whole thing. The osb is sitting on 2x4s on 24" centers. Any comments on these panels would be apreciated, thanks kje.

kj,id go with the snap locks.thats what i always use,from atlas metal roofing.if you or your installer use seam clips,and z metal for you hip & ridge caps you should have no exposed fasteners.i would use screws on my seam clips too.since screws have 8 times the holding strength of nails.

Thanks for the reply, do the snap lok’s go fastr than the screw downs? kje

No,
But nothing worthwhile comes easy

kj, ya snaplock goes way faster.my partner & i can do a small house, like 14 sqs. per day. plus with 5 v crimp youll have to either caulk or replace the fastners every ten years down in texas. the neoprene washers burn out. i was a metal roof installer in so. miami just before hurricane andrew we installed a stainless steel snap lock system in homestead & it held thru andrew! back to the snaplock, that 14 sqs. is cut up & thats only with myself & another guy.

Just the opposite for me. The time consumer on snap-lock for me is cutting to length, hemming bottom to hook on edging, boxing top, leaving tab on lock at eave to fold and cover end of rib. Especially valleys where you hem and lock into hook strip.
Exposed fasteners, just cut and fasten. No fancy work there.

5vcrimp is much easier to lay and does better in high winds. ive been to many storm damaged areas here in florida and the standing seams blow off easily compared to the 5vcrimp
and pbr panels. theese panels are simply fastened
better. screws on the perimeter, in the valleys,
through the ridge cap, etc. theres just more screws all over the place compared to standing seams hidden screw system. i have replaced many blown off standing seam roofs. no so for 5vcrimp.

gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]5vcrimp is much easier to lay and does better in high winds. ive been to many storm damaged areas here in florida and the standing seams blow off easily compared to the 5vcrimp
and pbr panels. theese panels are simply fastened
better. screws on the perimeter, in the valleys,
through the ridge cap, etc. theres just more screws all over the place compared to standing seams hidden screw system. i have replaced many blown off standing seam roofs. no so for 5vcrimp.

gweedo.[/quote]

All true, but standing seams look sooooo much better.
It does take a pretty stiff wind to mess with a standing seam metal roof.

ya,self employedslave @ perferred rfg., i order mine from beacon sales thru atlas, all pre cut & palleted up delivered to the job.the folding & hemmings no big deal after youve done a few.

Axiom.
you are a good roofer.
im smillin because yes standing seams are very good roofs and they do look better in most opion.
givin a bid on one tommorrow.

having said all that i do not warranty standing seams
against blow offs.
if it blows off your on your own.

gweedo.

[quote=“selfemployedslave”]Just the opposite for me. The time consumer on snap-lock for me is cutting to length, hemming bottom to hook on edging, boxing top, leaving tab on lock at eave to fold and cover end of rib. Especially valleys where you hem and lock into hook strip.
Exposed fasteners, just cut and fasten. No fancy work there.[/quote]

Thanks for the replys, I was considering just screwing down the eves with the snap-lok for strength and to avoid the hastle of hemming. kje

You could do that, but keep in mind the rubber seal on the fasteners won’t last the life of the roof. The bottom of your roof gets the most water. :wink: