1876 Victorian Home

I have a 2.5 story Victorian home built in 1876 with a hugh attic. I live in NJ. The current roof is wood shake with slate on top. There is no plywood, the wood shakes are fastened to 1x2 wood stripes. I also have built-in gutters.

My plans (sorry, not very detail):
-remove current roof (wood shakes and slate)
-place 3/4 plywood down.
-use high end architectural shingles.
-drywall attic for more living space (family room, one bedroom, and bathroom)

Questions:
-How should I vent the roof with the built-in gutters?

-How do I vent the roof when I drywall the attic ceiling?

-Should I remove the 1x2 or lay the plywood on top of the 1x2? I need to keep the roof thickness the same for interfacing with the built-in gutters.

Any help is appreciated.

Scott

Ridge vents and make sure you have a clear path to your soffits.

You can have the roofing contractor install the Smart Vent from DCI Products, Inc., as per their Mid-roof Application detail and have it installed several courses of shingles above the inlaid gutter system.

dciproducts.com/html/midroof.htm

You also need to ensure that you or your insulation contractor installs the insulation baffle vents on the bottom side of the decking prior to the insulation being installed so that the vent intake slow can induce the intake air and flow to the top to exhaust through and out of the ridge vent.

Don’t forget the vapor barrier on the underside of the insulation prior to installing the drywall either.

Ed

So sad to here you are switching from slate to shingle.

Anyway, if you remove your slate carefully you can sell the undamaged pieces if they aren’t in too bad a shape. So think before you just start rippin’. You probably have copper flashings also, and that too is worth money as metal scrap if you have enough.

[quote=“ed the roofer”]You can have the roofing contractor install the Smart Vent from DCI Products, Inc., as per their Mid-roof Application detail and have it installed several courses of shingles above the inlaid gutter system.

dciproducts.com/html/midroof.htm

You also need to ensure that you or your insulation contractor installs the insulation baffle vents on the bottom side of the decking prior to the insulation being installed so that the vent intake slow can induce the intake air and flow to the top to exhaust through and out of the ridge vent.

Don’t forget the vapor barrier on the underside of the insulation prior to installing the drywall either.

Ed[/quote]

Yes.

Also, I would remove the 1x2 if your roof plane with gutters permits it. Just re-sheet it as you go rather than pulling them off all at once. They do provide some structural (racking) strength to your roof, and your house is very very old. If you keep them on renail them as you go.