2 questions - drip edge and valley underlayment

I’m getting ready to have my 2 year old gable roof replaced because of significant hail damage. The company I chose wants me to add drip edge, which was not on my home when I bought it.

He quotes: 310 LF needed @ $1.40 per LF. Does this seem reasonable? 435 bucks for drip edge. Is there drip edge on the sides of the roof with no gutters?

He also wants me to add some kind of metal valley underlayment: 79 LF @ 3.49 per LF.

Since these extras are coming out of my pocket, I want to know if these prices seem reasonable and if the valley metal thing is worth it.

Thanks for your words of wisdom

i know i going to get slam for this answer. but if you did not have them before you dont need them now, tell him go back with closed cut valleys with 90 lb roll or ice add water membrane. and dont used drip edge if you didn’t have them before u don’t need them now.If you don’t live in and climic with a lot of snow or ice u don’t need them.

I would add them, because I think it’s the best way of doing it. If you’ve had leaks in your valleys or rotting at your fascia I would go for them. Otherwise… johns probably right

What an incredibly small price to pay for quality…

Thanks for the information.

As a homeowner, not a roofer, I don’t know much about what is needed on a roof.

When I took a look at my gutters, it appears that a lip of the gutter slips about an inch or two under the shingles. With that being said, is drip edge still a good idea?

My house is not even 2 years old yet and I want to do what is right but I don’t want to get taken to the cleaners for extras that may not be needed.

If they not instaling ice and water membrane on the bottom edge of roof it will just will just be for looks only be cause they will not remove gutter nails and installing drip over back of gutter they will just notch the drip edge around the nails,now if they replacing the gutters and you can afford it go fo it but at $1. 40 lf they using cheap stuff.

IMO drip edge is not necessarily needed.With enough allowed overhang past the fascia into the gutters it’s fine.

Another advantage of having drip edge/Apron/L metal is it covers the exposed area of the fascia and it also gives the shingles along the gutterline some strength instead of flopping/relaxing/forming into the gutters.

Another plus of having some metal in the valley is it keeps the shingles from sinking into the valley.

Where are you located? Drip edge is not needed in the south where ice does not back up. Also, I see a lot of decking ruined at the edge from drip edge removal and replacements on older houses. With proper overhand of shingles (3/4" or so), it is redundant.

Drip edge and valley metal are upgrade options. You don’t “need” them.
Drip edge up the gable ends looks nice, but again, not necessary.

If you didn’t have them before, and your roof didn’t leak, there is really no reason to install them now. Especially considering this roof only lasted 2 years due to Mother Nature, how long will the next one last…

[quote=“bcdemon”]Drip edge and valley metal are upgrade options. You don’t “need” them.
Drip edge up the gable ends looks nice, but again, not necessary.

If you didn’t have them before, and your roof didn’t leak, there is really no reason to install them now. Especially considering this roof only lasted 2 years due to Mother Nature, how long will the next one last…[/quote]

Another mother nature disaster will probably show up again soon so you should put the same lesser quality roof on? thats your advice? wow.

Drip edge and valley metal are upgrade options?
Drip finishes the edges , makes your house look good(another large goal besides water-tightness) and also protects against wind-uplift when done properly and further protects the fascial material and its paint. I have never seen a roof here without it ever.

Valley metal protects against sheeting nails that want to protrude through your roofing. I would call it it necessary on my shingle roofs.