24 vs. 26 Gauge Standing Seam Roof?

Hello!

My wife and I are considering a standing seam metal roof for our house in Maine. One contractor told us to be sure and use only 24 gauge metal, no matter who did the job. A second contractor said he uses both 24 and 26 gauge, but that for our roof design (“very cut up”…a number of hips, gables, valleys, with a second story bedroom/bath covering only about half the area of the first floor), he would recommend 26 gauge. He said that with the complex roof design he could make better-looking, straighter seams, and could get the metal to lie better in valleys.

Should we worry that 26 gauge will not be as durable or damage more easily than 24?

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

What? I find that 24ga is the way to go. It may be hard to work with(snip,hand seam,etc) if your used to 26ga, but it usually will lay better and tend not to “oil can” as easily as 26.

Double stirations between standing seams!
26 is good and can be done well if not installed over battens.
But 24 is better, but it should cost more and more labor to install.

Thicker is better. Well worth the cost IMO. I’m a sheet metal worker for a roofing and siding supplier and I’ve never had a customer order a 24ga roof and regretted it. 26ga is ok but 24 is the way to go. And as mentioned earlier, get the striations in the panels. I have never seen 24ga panels with striations warp.

We have 24ga standing seam on our lakeside cottage. I used 26ga for the flashings except for the “W” valleys which are 24ga. I also used some of the standing seam metal for siding. It looks as good now as it did they day I installed it 10 years ago.