3 different roofing materials/applications...Which one?

I have a relatively flat roof above the addition of my house and discovered a leak. Although I rec’d 3 price quotes in the same area, all 3 have different applications. 1) glue a membrane for flat roofs; 2) Use membrane and then use heat to seal; 3) re-do with shingles. (There are currently shingles–which are approx 20 yrs old). Need help with decision. Thanks.

Pictures would help,but shingles should be youe cheapest option.As long as there is suffiecent slope on the roof to drain.But if they lasted 20 years up there then it should be okay.But with out pics hard to say.

2" in 12" is the least pitch for most if not all shingle manufactures, with double layer #15lb. felt. 1" in 12" is the least pitch for torch systems (modified bitumen), anything less is to be done with hot aspahlt (BUR), at least here in Nevada and west coast areas. Ask questions.

Anthony - what you are saying is nonsense!

Most shingle manufacturers require at least 3 pitch and shingles should not be installed on anything less than 3 pitch, even with ice and water (which I think is useless anyway…). And 15# felt is also a joke.

Modified can be installed on any pitch - I just vent on a roof of a school in Revere MA with virtually 0 pitch, and it has a brand new 2-ply modified roof which was approved by MFG and architect and inspectors. Not that I like modified, but it can be put on 0 pitch.

And BUR or hot tar/asphalt is so dead - no one should be doing it anymore! Especially in Nevada. You guys have plenty of single-plies and sprayed foam roofers there…

As far as roof in question - what exactly is the heat-sealed roof? is it torched or hot-air welded? Go with second one - hot air welded is a thermo-plastic single-ply roof (I recommend PVC and stay away from TPO).

Main reason why you should stay away from torched roof - a contractor that would do a roof your size with torch, most likely is uninsured or under insured as torch liability is HUGE and you need big roofs to make money. Therefore it’s probably some Joe Shmo who watched some youtube videos and bought a $100 torch.

If it’s hot-air welded, then guys are already invested in expensive equipment and most likely know what they are doing.

Good luck.

We still have larger commercial outfits installing built up roofs,pitch roofs last for over 50 years these new tpos and durolast and IB will not preform like pitch or deadlevel has.The modified are still applied,im going to bid a twoply 160 squares roof in the morning its a coastguard building,.I believe theres no better flat roof out there then a two ply modified.

[quote=“LAMetalRoofs”]

Most shingle manufacturers require at least 3 pitch and shingles should not be installed on anything less than 3 pitch, even with ice and water (which I think is useless anyway…). And 15# felt is also a joke.

Modified can be installed on any pitch - I just vent on a roof of a school in Revere MA with virtually 0 pitch, and it has a brand new 2-ply modified roof which was approved by MFG and architect and inspectors. Not that I like modified, but it can be put on 0 pitch.

And BUR or hot tar/asphalt is so dead - no one should be doing it anymore! Especially in Nevada. You guys have plenty of single-plies and sprayed foam roofers there…
Well
As far as roof in question - what exactly is the heat-sealed roof? is it torched or hot-air welded? Go with second one - hot air welded is a thermo-plastic single-ply roof (I recommend PVC and stay away from TPO).

Main reason why you should stay away from torched roof - a contractor that would do a roof your size with torch, most likely is uninsured or under insured as torch liability is HUGE and you need big roofs to make money. Therefore it’s probably some Joe Shmo who watched some youtube videos and bought a $100 torch.

If it’s hot-air welded, then guys are already invested in expensive equipment and most likely know what they are doing.

Good luck.[/quote]

[quote]

Well it is really nice to see how smart others are, I still use the torch system, and I have 1-2 million insurance for even the smallest job, as for hot asphalt, it is one of the greatest roofs it has been around forever and if put on right will last much longer than single ply systems. for your info I am a 3rd. generation roofer and have been roofing for over 34 yrs you name it I have done it in fact I just finished a 1st. International bank with hot (BUR) As for the 2 in 12 it is not my specs but the shingle manufactures and 15lb is what is requrired out this way So keep with your spec in your town and as I said this is Nevada. I am not in a pissing contest with anyone just trying to help others.[/quote]

With a minimum of double coverage 15# felt most if not all manufacturers allow shingles down to and including 2/12’s.

While I don’t think this is a good spec or idea in snow country, I see no reason why it wouldn’t be perfectly adequate in the warmer southern regions.
If you were to choose shingles it would be best to use 3-tabs and apply them at a 4" exposure.
A good torchdown or PVC is a better choice IMO.

How about a self adhering mod bit opposed to torch? Also “relatively low” is not specific enough. Find out exactly what pitch your roof is.

[quote=“LAMetalRoofs”]

Good luck.[/quote]

If that is the school i am thinking of than you must work for Reliable Roofing?

That is absolutely WRONG, and you should inform yourself before thinking you can inform others.

GAF, Certainteed, Pabco, Owens Corning and Tamco.

That constitutes most shingle manufacturers, and they all allow for 2/12 shingle application, usually with double layer #15 paper.

As for the topic starter, tar and gravel is a good roof, usually expensive as heck. Torch on roof systems are great too, our company does lots of big roofs with torch on. I have no idea about the single layer heat gun applied systems, but it is a one-ply rubber roof. Shingles, as I pointed out can and are applied to 2/12 roofs, and they work just fine, and usually are the cheapest $$ roof.

I dont know, laying dimensional shingles on anything less than a 3 pitch, even if the manufacturer says its ok is still not the brightest idea (at least in my climate).

Yea when it gets down to 3 or less im not putting down archs unless im double felting or dropping an inch off the exposure and double felting.Seen to many delaminate over the years,the can leak right through where thier glued together.

Thank you all for responding to my question about the 3 different applications. I do not know the pitch of the roof. The “heat application” that one of the roofers was going to use is a “torch”. Although I still can’t decide which application to go with you have given me enough things to question. I never knew there was so much to know about roofing. Thank you.(Mandydog–NJ)

No need to go with white roof system (tpo).

Fully Adhered .060" Fully Adhered EPDM Roof System would be my selection.

As for a modified torch system. Roofers, open flames, and expensive buildings dont mix…If they company is a reputable installer for that type of system, then fine. But you dont want “Chuck in the Truck” to do that.

If you shingle, please make the roofers use hot dipped galvanized nails.