5v crimp?

i’ve been looking into redoing my roof with 5v crimp and it’s 12$ each at my local home depot and lowes for a 2x8 sheet. i’m going to need around 50ish

does anyone know a cheaper place to buy from in the tampa bay area? that will sell to a non contractor?

Please do not take this response the wrong way but, a job like that should be done by a professional that understands how to do the job properly. 5v is not as easy as shingles. Best advise i can give you is to find a pro to handle the work. Not saying you cant do the work im just saying there is alot more that goes into a 5v roof than standard shingles.

For less than a buck a foot for materials, and this person is complaining? I doubt he would ever hire a pro to do his work.

I think you may be right there Aaron.

hey question marks,

there is a place called gulfside supply out of horseshoe beach florida.
that cuts galvalume 5 v crimp to length.

talk to hope or naomi
tell em gweedo sent ya they’ll hook ya up.

if your not in florida
search 5vcrimp and your town on internet.
should bring up some whole sale companys.

you dont want to peace together ten ft peaces.

make shure you use galvalume.

26 gauge, is easy to cut.

good luck.

gweedo

[quote=“gweedo”]hey question marks,

there is a place called gulfside supply out of horseshoe beach florida.
that cuts galvalume 5 v crimp to length.

talk to hope or naomi
tell em gweedo sent ya they’ll hook ya up.

if your not in florida
search 5vcrimp and your town on internet.
should bring up some whole sale companys.

you dont want to peace together ten ft peaces.

make shure you use galvalume.

26 gauge, is easy to cut.

good luck.

gweedo[/quote]

thanks man, thats pretty much what i was looking for… the thought of buying a bunch of short pieces kinda sucks.

to the rest… nah, I’m pretty much broke these days, hiring someone to do it is not possible. I’d just have to deal with a leaky roof lol.

oh no you did not just crack on the pros.
you would hire a roofer but ya dont want it to leak.
i like it.
like it alot.

gweedo

[quote=“gweedo”]oh no you did not just crack on the pros.
you would hire a roofer but ya dont want it to leak.
i like it.
like it alot.

gweedo[/quote]

haha, i soo didn’t mean it like that lol.

but it did sound kinda funny.

i was saying i’d have to deal with leaking, like it is now. because i can’t pay to have a pro redo the whole roof.

it was funny.

good luck with project.

gweedo.

Guido,
Why don’t you tell him how to install metal roofing so it doesn’t oil-can?
Are ventilation requirements different for metal roofs? I’ve eyeballed a lot of metal roofs since I found this forum and most seem to be unventilated. I do recall seeing a lot of them installed over “open sheathing” .

hello iopsailer,
yeah most standin seam metal roof panels oil can.
they make a special standin seam panel that has 1/2" brakes all the way across it.
but some dont think it looks as good. and its a bitch to lay.

as far as 5vcrimp goes, i put on what the manufacter gives me.
just screw it on, didnt know of a certain way to install it as not to oil can.

installin metal over bear wood, sounds like north florida, georgia, or alabama. not big on underlayment in those parts.
im ok with that, only the metal is the roof.
i like underlayment for the better work surface it provides.
better that workin off plywood.

take care.

gweedo.

There are a couple of things that can cause oil canning. First and foremost is an uneven substrate. Second, you can oil can the metal panels by over-driving your fasteners, especially if you are using clips. Third, kinking the panels prior to installation. Fourth, poor job of roll forming…Those are the main ways I know of…Anyone else think of other ways that I forgot to mention?

Oh yeah, I’ve not seen anyone do this, but I suppose if you “fix” the top and bottom of the panels instead of “floating” one end, that would likely cause the panels to oil-can.

Also, you definitely want to use at a minimum 30# felt beneath the metal panels. This is especially true if you are installing the panels over treated wood.

yeah dont put metal on pt wood.
learned that the hard way.

gweedo