A great job

I am so tired of getting the run around from companies that say that they are looking for good/great roofers and the company just refuses to pay good/great wages. its always the company saying that they will start me out at “X” amount of dollors and then I show the company I’m a shingle slayer the company acts like the verbal agreement of raising my pay after proving my exp. was nothing but hot air… anyone looking to hire a great roofer for a great wage 16 years exp. DL, Truck, tools, CALL 812-449-9035

Whats a good wage?

In the St Louis area they want to pay helpers 8 per hour and experienced shinglers 12 to 15 per hour.I made that much 15 yrs ago.

Geez. Thats insane.

Loyalty and experience are tasks that need to be observed over time, in addition to or rather than just speed of installations.

How much time did you put in with each of the companies before you decided to pack it in and try elsewhere?

How much of a difference in your interpretation of a Great Wage versus the Company’s versions of what they considered to be a Fair Wage?

Was anyone else in the company making the Wage that you felt you deserved? If so, how long were they employed at that company? What did they bring to the table that you did not offer?

Ed

I agree I pay my inexperienced roofer 12.50 and hour and he has less than a yr experience. Are they a company man or just looking for a paycheck?

Could be both.

roofing is sort of an art …not a labor …unless your ground clean up ?..we put pride in our work as well as you do i asume…but unless you own your company …and…asumming you love what you do…regardless of hot weather or the fact that you gotta shovel snow off your scafolling your worth 20 an hour…keeping note to self i live in upstate newyork!!

i,m looking for a company to pay me what i’m worth where i’m not living pay check to pay check

Hi,

Living paycheck to paycheck has very little to do with what you are paid.

Lefty’s right ,there are people that figure out how get from one paycheck to the next that make say $25,ooo a year and there are people who make hundreds of thousands per year who worry what day payday is because they might be overdrawn.

I am still wondering what you feel like you are worth? Ive known plenty of people with more than 15 years of “experience” who werent roofers but guys walking around with a nail gun and some sort of clue as to what to do. On the other hand, I have met guys with 3 years experience whose skills and abilities are quite good.

The problem here is the down economy.When crysler laid everyone off they put a ladder on their dodge rams and became roofers and any other const. trade they could think of.They do it cheaper than everyone else.They also pay their help dirt wages.

It ain’t the economy.
Even during the building boom there were plenty of guys out there that were working wayyyy too cheap to support a business.

Now is the time to repair the damage they did. :smiley:

[quote=“-Axiom-”]It ain’t the economy.
Even during the building boom there were plenty of guys out there that were working wayyyy too cheap to support a business.

Now is the time to repair the damage they did. :D[/quote]

Man you got that right. $170 a sq. then, $200 a sq. now… same difference