Add a DCI Smart Vent with existing soffit vents?

Here’s the question.

The customer already has some soffit intake vents & supposedly they were properly baffled prior to the blow in on new attic insulation.

He has a bit of a wide spacing, around 10’ between them, & would like to improve his ventilation on the intake side.

He asked about adding the DCI SmartVent on top & leaving the existing soffit vents in place (vs. adding new soffit vents, then trying to dig out or scrape away the blown insulation that is going to be blocking these locations).

What do you guys think?

Sure why not?

Because I don’t know if it will defeat the soffit vents or flow right through to the DCI.

If your concerned about short circuiting you could always block the soffit vents with insulation. I probably would

The soffit vents are currently 10’ apart, and they may be plugged up.
The smartvent will be a continuous slot the whole length of the eave.

I don’t see any short circuiting problems here.

[quote=“-Axiom-”]The soffit vents are currently 10’ apart, and they may be plugged up.

I don’t see any short circuiting problems here.[/quote]

You are assuming they are blocked. Based on the info you have to assume they are open.

[quote=“RooferR”]

be plugged up.

I don’t see any short circuiting problems here.
You are assuming they are blocked. Based on the info you have to assume they are open.[/quote]

With the existing soffit vents 10’ apart I don’t think it matters if the soffits are plugged or not.

It may or may not be necessary to remove part of the deck anyway, to fix the rafter vents.
Just because the homeowner says that they (rafter vents) are there and not plugged up doesn’t mean that this is actually the case.

Hi,

The ridge vent will draw evenly. The soffit vents are passive. So they will allow as much air in as is needed. They will not force in more air.

The ridge vent will draw between the rafters. So the path of least resistance is the Smart Vent.

Would not hurt to block the soffit vents off. This would not be a lot of work.

Thanks, Lefty & others.

I wasn’t attempting to avoid the work, only to avoid an unnecessary charge.

Lefty, I seem to recall you having installed this product on more than a few occasions; what is your ‘typical’ charge per foot on the labor end of it?

I usually don’t charge much for the labor on a ridge vent installation & will assume the process is similar for the DCI (I have only installed it once).

You need to charge a little extra labor for the smartvent, the first 3 courses should be hand nailed with 2" or longer nails.
I haven’t figured any specific installation rates, but I would guess about an hour extra labor per 60’ or so.

We always cover the smartvent with I&W shield, I don’t know if you would want/need to do this in Texas.

courtesy of the “others”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi,

I do not charge by the …

I figure how long it will take to install. Then figure out how much I need to be get for the time it takes.