Allstate not telling the whole truth

Wednesday morning I heard a local roofer in San Antonio blasting Allstate ins. for lying about the rate increase request with the TDI. After I listened to him, I read the Allstate statement of why they are raising rates. They said that the price of roofing materials were so high they had to raise rates by 5%.
The roofer blasted them by saying last year he was paying $72 for a sq and today $49. Then he said that not only are they being dishonest about the materials cost, he told of how they have already cut roofing damage payouts by 20%.
Insurance will get so high that it won’t be worth buying or the deductible will never be met.
I have found that I wouldn’t choose one ins. company over another. They all have the same faults. Adjusters have poor training and don’t have a set of standards for what is damage and what is not. I’ve had them point out hail damage that was in the shape of a boot print. What in the world is happening.

want to see how crooked allstate is? This is a story of my experience over the phone with an inside adjuster.

I was asking for a supplement of 8 squares because his adjuster measured wrong.

He said he wasn’t going to pay for it because it should of been done before the roof was installed and he had no way of knowing if i truly installed the amount i claimed it took.

I told him although the roof is complete, the structure hasn’t changed. So i ask him to bring out another adjuster.

He told me he would send out another adjuster but even if its more square he isn’t going to pay more than what the claim has already been made out to.

I told him that the customer has a right to a supplement and how could the price stay the same when the square amount went up?

He cut me off and told me not to start talking about things i dont know about.

After i told him that i process 25 roofing claims a week and that im well experienced with allstate policies… he says this

“IM JUST MESSING WITH YOU MAN, I WAS JUST PULLING YOUR LEG, IM GOING TO SEND OUT ANOTHER ADJUSTER AND WE WILL SETTLE THE SUPPLIMENT”

His attitude completely changed… went from being an A-hole to acting like a professional.

I couldn’t believe he said that. "im just pulling your leg) Basically what he was telling me was that he was just trying to screw me.

Allstate… Your not in good hands

Edit: the conversation was about 1 hour. I gave you the short version of it.

Heres a little site i came across 8 years ago,http://allstateinsurancesucks.com/

Here’s my take on Allstate and State Farm.

They are the two largest insurance companies. Therefore, it makes sense there will be more complaints.

We deal extensively with both of these companies. On the whole, I don’t find them any more difficult than most of the others. In fact, in general, I prefer dealing with these two.

It’s been my experience with insurance companies that it is the Adjusters, more than the company, where the problems lie. Like any other walk of life, profession, race, etc., you have mostly good people and a few bad ones. The vast majority of Allstate and State Farm Adjusters are very professional, competent and reasonable to deal with. There is the occasional A-Hole for sure but I don’t let one bad apple spoil the entire basket.

I reluctantly admit there was a time when I too quickly became defensive (or even offensive) with Adjusters, both outside and inside. I actually learned a lot from a couple of our better Sales Reps and was thankfully open minded enough to see how smothering them with professional courtesy, patience, tenacity and kindness paid much higher dividends over all.

Allstate is mostly using Xactimate in our areas now and this has made a HUGE difference in easing the tension in claim resolution. It has reduced the % of supplements substantially and increased our profit % on their jobs. It is clear their Adjusters like it as well as it clearly has made their job significantly easier and reduces the conflicts with the contractors.

State farm we rarely have problems with.

Allstate hasn’t moved to Xactimate in our area… their pricing is from 5 years ago… so every claim is a battle.

One of my clients submitted 3 estimates to allstate. I was $2,500 less than the other two.

The inside adjuster comes back and says “well we are pretty close on our estimates, If you can meet me half way we can settle this”

Knowing i was lower than the other two bids i told him that i was asking a fair market value price. That my prices are based off of what all insurance companies pay out on daily.

To shorten up the story, he called the home owner and said that i wouldn’t work with him. He also advised the home owner to go with a company with more of a backing… home depot…

Every claim i processed with allstate was like pulling teeth. It was always an negotiation. All others insurance companys(including state farm)… if it was with in policy, and reasonable market value, they paid.

From what we’ve been told, new storm dates are what trigger the utilization of Xactimate. In Alabama, we had an early October date we’ve been using for everything. No arguments from the Allstate Adjusters, they prefer Xactimate anyway.

Your scenario sounds similar though, we dealt with a few of those from Allstate. Infuriating! We found the best solution was for the Customer to get firm with the Adjuster. In some cases, we asked the Customer to contact their Agent and complain strongly about the Adjuster and their business practices.

Good luck, hope you get a new storm date soon that will hopefully resolve your issues with Allstate.

Dad i believe you are correct. Most of the events im stating are from storms 2-1/2 years ago.

We had a very small storm hit a few months back(probably the same one that went to BAMA) and i haven’t come across any issues with them.

I still think its crooked to do what they did. Xactimate or no Xactimate. Especially when your logo is, “Your in great hands”

Think about it:

1. 5-6% deductible
  2. Several customers get their scope of work showing that the roof repairs are lower than the deductible (because the pricing system is out of date)so they dont proceed with the claim.
  3. When you try to file a supplement you have to fight for it.

But anyways. Life goes on.

RR, I don’t disagree. In the areas we work, the deductibles are typically $1,000 or less. Makes things much simpler.

It is a bit humorous. Prior to them using Xactimate, I got a bit sick to my stomach every time I saw an Allstate job come to us. After Xactimate, one of our favorites. Made me realize even better that it generally isn’t the Adjusters (certainly is sometime) but more the company policy that causes issues.

I’m not sure how it works in your area but one other thing we picked up on. We’d wait a couple of weeks to see if the claim responsibility was switched from the field adjuster to the Mobile, AL Desk Adjuster. In general, we found the Desk Adjusters easier to negotiate with. Usually took some patience but in the end it was worth it. Just call the toll free number on the scope. The automated attendant will provide the name of the Adjuster assigned to the claim when you plug in the claim number. I have no idea what the rhyme or reason was, or is, for switching the claim over to the Desk Adjuster in Mobile. We would send our supplement in to that guy who in turn would respond anywhere from one day to two weeks.

One other thing we picked up on. A number of the field Adjusters would have line items on their Integra Scope that were beyond what we put on the Xactimate. I would modify our Xactimate to match the Integra scope and that was what would be sent into the Mobile Desk Adjuster as the Supplement. This was always higher than our original Xactimate bid. There were numerous occasions where we were able to negotiate an even higher claim amount than what was on our original Xactimate.

[quote=“Authentic_Dad”]RR, I don’t disagree. In the areas we work, the deductibles are typically $1,000 or less. Makes things much simpler.

It is a bit humorous. Prior to them using Xactimate, I got a bit sick to my stomach every time I saw an Allstate job come to us. [/quote]

Yea, i think the major issue was the hurricane claims… material and labor increased weekly. Only Xactimate kept up with it.

Hail usually is $500-$1000 but im starting to see a lot of customers policies being changed to 2% for hail.

Insurance in general is a scam IMO. You pay the hundreds or thousands in yearly premiums, then pay a deductible when you need to use the insurance you paid a yearly premium on.
They aren’t there to assist you, they are there to save as much money as they can.
WCB is the biggest insurance scam of all.

/end rant

I’ve only had one phone conversation with allstate.

It was 6 years ago before I knew what to charge and had no any idea about dealing with inside adjusters.

Me,
“I need $400 a square becauase it’s a 12/12 two stories, three layer tear off, and it’s got gaps in the decking so it will need new decking.”

allstate,
“Oh, ya, your way to high. $400 a square you gotta be kidding me. We can find some one to do it better and cheaper than you.”

Me,
“I’m sorry Mrs. home owner but your insurance adjuster insulted me and my company so I’m going to pass on your roof replacement at this time.”

I hate allstate. I like State Farm.

I got a big rate increase from Am Fam which prompted switching over the main house and all work vehicles, work trailers, personal vehicles, boats, and toys.

$1,700 to $2,400 a year, $1,000 deductible.
New carrier $1,200 a year with $2,000 deductible hail/wind only, $1,000 rest. Based on an insured value of $420K structure only.

The work vehicles and personal vehicles were about the same dollar wise although the coverage amounts tripled.

Last year the rental house with Am Fam jumped to $1,200 a year. Switched that one out and pay $700 a year.

And NO it’s not with allstate. It’s with Auto Owners who specialize in private/commercial polices under one roof.

If allstate offered to save me $5K a year and insure for free I’d have to pass!!!

hi…I don’t understand really why people are so dishonest…business which is done honestly lasts for a long time.

I bought a car and need new auto insurance. I got a loan of several insurance companies, Allstate and look good. Since we do not have the power to adjust the coverage as I search online, I decided to do a debate in Allstate agent …

There’s good and bad from all points of the spectrum. Insurance companies make more money if they pay less in claims. Contractors not experienced in the storm damage claims process help the insurance companies to save money by underpaying claims when they “free” estimate rather than “contingency” contract with insureds with damage. ISO/Xactimate has done a great job of convincing some contractors they’ll do better by using the same insurance friendly software (they won’t).

If a job should be priced at $15,000 at real, true and accurate rates (RTA) and insurance companies promise to pay at RTA, why, then, would any contractor offer to do the job for any less when they don’t have to? Xactimate , schmactimate!

[quote=“LMB”]There’s good and bad from all points of the spectrum. Insurance companies make more money if they pay less in claims. Contractors not experienced in the storm damage claims process help the insurance companies to save money by underpaying claims when they “free” estimate rather than “contingency” contract with insureds with damage. ISO/Xactimate has done a great job of convincing some contractors they’ll do better by using the same insurance friendly software (they won’t).

If a job should be priced at $15,000 at real, true and accurate rates (RTA) and insurance companies promise to pay at RTA, why, then, would any contractor offer to do the job for any less when they don’t have to? Xactimate , schmactimate![/quote]

Roofing companies do need to make a few changes. Free inspections followed with contingency agreements.

Xactimate is by far the best way to come up with that RTA you refer to.

Send me 10 claims with a complete take off and photo documentation and i will show you how to make an additional $10,000.00 legitimately and it will be justified on the insurance companies common platform {XACTIMATE}

[quote=“ALLTEX Roofing”]

Send me 10 claims with a complete take off and photo documentation and i will show you how to make an additional $10,000.00 legitimately and it will be justified on the insurance companies common platform {XACTIMATE}[/quote]

I’d certainly be interested in hearing more details on how you would do that. Sounds like a rather bold statement.

[quote=“Authentic_Dad”]

[quote=“ALLTEX Roofing”]

Send me 10 claims with a complete take off and photo documentation and i will show you how to make an additional $10,000.00 legitimately and it will be justified on the insurance companies common platform {XACTIMATE}[/quote]

I’d certainly be interested in hearing more details on how you would do that. Sounds like a rather bold statement.[/quote]

Maybe he means $10,000 extra out of 10 claims all together. Some jobs you can get up to $1,000-$2,000 in steep pitch charges.

It still seems kind of bold to me too… Doesnt Xactimate prices differentiate by zip code/location? He may be able to get more money in some states than others.