Anyone use shingle cutters?

Looking into getting a shingle cutter such as the one made by Qual Craft or something similar? Ive seen the ones that look like big paper cutters and seen the ones with a wheel blade. Which ones work good and which ones are junk? I plan to have it last a few years so I want something quality. Check youtube for videos if you dont know what Im talking about. Search: shingle cutter, shingle mate, shingle shear etc.
Thanks in advance.
Mitch

I have two. They are seldom used. Good for precutting steps off a gable edge but otherwise hook blade or snips are more portable and faster. Ones a shingle shark and the others a Cleasby. Nice thing about the shark is you can cut lengthwise. Both do the job.

I just got one of these the other day http://www.malcoproducts.com/products/asphaltshingles/images/tss1a.jpg On a metal job now so I won’t know how they work for a while. Check em out here http://www.malcoproducts.com/products/asphaltshingles/tss1a.asp

saw a company that introduced an oscillating shingle cutter that used regular hook blades, and it sells for around $100.

got to test it out on some archs at the roofing convention in new orleans a couple weeks ago. its pretty awesome. prolly gonna pick up a couple of them as soon as they are for sale.

[quote=“Agape”]saw a company that introduced an oscillating shingle cutter that used regular hook blades, and it sells for around $100.

got to test it out on some archs at the roofing convention in new orleans a couple weeks ago. its pretty awesome. prolly gonna pick up a couple of them as soon as they are for sale.[/quote]

Did they happen to keep the shingles in the freezer for a cold test?

[quote=“selfemployedslave”]

[quote=“Agape”]saw a company that introduced an oscillating shingle cutter that used regular hook blades, and it sells for around $100.

got to test it out on some archs at the roofing convention in new orleans a couple weeks ago. its pretty awesome. prolly gonna pick up a couple of them as soon as they are for sale.[/quote]

Did they happen to keep the shingles in the freezer for a cold test?[/quote]

lol. no

but if we cut them now with a hook blade… and this thing uses a hook blade… i can only imagine that it works better. :wink:

Post a link when they are available.

i have a big papercutter like one. email if interested. i dont need it and never will again.

[quote=“Aroofing”]

Post a link when they are available.[/quote]

Should be easy enough to make. Go down to the adult toy store, find one that fits your hand, sink the blade in the end. Black one would hide the dirt better

[quote=“selfemployedslave”]

Post a link when they are available.

Should be easy enough to make. Go down to the adult toy store, find one that fits your hand, sink the blade in the end. Black one would hide the dirt better[/quote]

post pics of yours so we can see how it works

I never use them for shingles but the papercutter style one works great for the Ecostar fake slate!

so is it worth the money to buy one of those big paper cutter ones like the shingle shark to cut steps or keep doing it the old way with a blade? You guys that use this kind, do you use them on all jobs? It just seems like you guys either like them and use them or hate them… For those that dont have them or dont like them, how do you cut steps? Right now, im using a straight blade and cutting them on a scrap piece of plywood. Is there an easier or better way?

Snips are best :mrgreen:…for archs.

Hook blade. I’ll use the snips for cutting around a stack or a vent thou.

I have the paper cutter style, usually its hanging in the shop. I do take it sometimes late in the season when shingles are cold, it does cut nice straight lines. I also use snips for cutting around vents etc when its cold.

Snips in winter, hook blade in summer.
Also, I can’t imagine the paper cutter one being very practical on the roof, so I assume you are talking about cutting starter packs. Use an old crusty skilsaw, it works great. You can stack them in piles 2" or so high and it cuts through all of them.

Waste of time and money.

Well not neccesarily. if your doing Certainteed Presidential TL or Grand Manor in the winter it is key. I also like a good pair of metal shears and a Sheffield Hookblade for some shingles.

I use paper cutter style made by Shingle Shear all the time in cooler months for cutting starter course off gable ends, and always for cutting 3 tabs for capping.