Are most in here shingle contractors?

Seems most of dicussions involve shingles and metal roofs

I love all roofs, period.
What type of roofing would you like to discuss?

We currently do mostly shingles but do a fair bit of low slope commercial roofing as well. It has been my goal to build the company through increasing our commercial offerings while not sacrificing our residential side.

was just curious. I do prefer installing BUR (hot) and EPDM

we also do flat and commercial. just seems like there is less about it to discuss.

we do flat,metal and shingles

I’ve kind of gathered that most here were PRIMARILY shingle contractors. Was I wrong?

I consider myself a basketball player. Doesn’t mean I play everyday or good at it.

I don’t think you were wrong Cerberus.

We are primarily commercial contractors who also provide residential services.

We are 95% residential

I do whatever is paying the most that day.

We are a full service roofing contractor and have installed every type of roof you can think of.

[quote=“RooferR”]

I consider myself a basketball player. Doesn’t mean I play everyday or good at it.

I don’t think you were wrong Cerberus.[/quote]

I take it your just a shingle roofer?

Hello,
RooferJ wrote
“We are a full service roofing contractor and have installed every type of roof you can think of.”

If I moved to Hawaii and wanted a Gilligan’s Island roof, could you help me out. LOL :mrgreen:

Rooferj, have you ever done a thatch roof and if so what was that like?

Wow, really? So you have put on a Yak-dung roof like they use in Tibet, thatched roofs like they use in the UK/Ireland, not to mention hot-melt, GRM, KMM, flat seam tin, tile, slate, zinc, paint-on elastomerics, etc. :shock:

When you put on your American Hydrostop roofs, for which you have to have a oil-jacked kettle with an aggitator, whose flashing membrane did you use? And do you remember the detail for T-joints on GRM roofs? Oh I could go on, but I’ll leave you be with your statement of “every type of roof you can think of”. :smiley:

Oh, did I happen to mention that I’m a smart-ass? :mrgreen:

Damn, and then I go on to read some other posts and find out I’'m not the only smart-ass here! :wink:

ha ha I was waiting for that. You may have me stumped on GMR not sure what that is. I remember when t-joints were started by Goodyear and other manurfactuers followed suit. Yes I have done thatch roofing. “as a volunteer at Plimouth Plantation”. We have also done a lot of different types of Roofing. Slate,Tile, shingles, all typed of metal “we have our own shop” BUR,most all single plys I would say. Also waterproofing in addition to roofing. mostly membrane.
But like you say there a many many different systems out there over the years. some for only a short time.
remember plate bonded roofing ? Sorry guys I am not just a shingle nailer or torch aplicator. I do have some thatching pictures I will be adding to our website.Not that anyone will ever want one. Although There is an Irish guy out here that does thatch pool cabana buildings and thatch mailboxes. Not sure how busy he is havent talked to him in a while

You meant American Hydrotech right ? My cousin works for a company that puts that stuff on bridge decks.
That is only union prevailing wage jobs that bid that stuff. When I was union that was not really popular yet.

[quote=“RooferJ”]You meant American Hydrotech right ? My cousin works for a company that puts that stuff on bridge decks.
That is only union prevailing wage jobs that bid that stuff. When I was union that was not really popular yet.[/quote]

Yes, I meant American Hydrotech. I started typing Hydro . . . and my mind wandered, and I typed HydroStop; thus combining two companies and totally different products! :mrgreen: Opps! But yes, American Hydrotech, along with Barrett and Bakor, are three of the manufacturer’s whose product I have personally used when I was a roofer/waterproofer/sheet-metal-worker.

barrettroofs.com/products/index.html

ribaproductselector.com/Prod … icMembrane

And it is GRM, not GMR as you typed. GRM stood for Grace Roofing Membrane, just like KMM stood for Kopper’s Multi-purpose Membrane. GRM was very similar to Bituthene (another W.R. Grace product), but the core was a little different in that it included a sheet of aluminum foil.

GRM in general had the PVC backing, just like Bituthene, but there was a GRM (GRM 500 I believe) that had a white backing. Grace also made a product Bituthene 5000, that instead of a PVC backing used an asphaltic backing so you could install it beneath paving. Oh yeah, Bituthene! They had some real interesting primers back in the day, including a highly flammable one called P3000 or maybe it was P3500; it has been awhile. :mrgreen:

we are mostly shingles.about 600 roofs a year