Are Nails or Staples better?

You are the experts. Some of my customers like 16g wide crown roofing staples others like coil nailers. Have you tried both and what are the pros and cons of each?

thanks!

Whats the game you are playing?

No game. I am curious what roofers prefer and why simply to educate myself to assist customers better.

I didn’t know there were roofers who still use staples.

Thats what I thought.

some guys still staple felt… but sure the hell not shingles.

Thanks for the info. Paslode, Bostich, Max, Hitatchi, Senco all carry 16g wide crown roofing staplers but they might be also used for sheathing etc. I notice some shingle mfg’s warranty is void with staples.

Do you veteran roofers prefer hammer tacking the felt or do you have a pneumatic stapler to speed up that process too?

The game is that he sells staples as posted under the business section.

Like some of you others I did not even know staples were used anymore for shingles.

We loved the staplers when they first came out. Light, low air consumption, and they held a ton of ammo.

Unfortunately, the staples proved to have less overall holding performance than nails and were banned in many towns.

A couple dozen years later, we found that tearing off a stapled roof could be rather unpleasant depending on how it was shot

Staples for shingles not up to code…can use for plywood still though…
Hammer tackers for felt…too quick and too easy

johne5

[quote=“roofbutcher”]We loved the staplers when they first came out. Light, low air consumption, and they held a ton of ammo.

Unfortunately, the staples proved to have less overall holding performance than nails and were banned in many towns.

A couple dozen years later, we found that tearing off a stapled roof could be rather unpleasant depending on how it was shot[/quote]

Thanks for your explantion.

I like stapling plywood I will say

Tearoff doesn’t loosen as much decking on a stapled ply roof either

Wide crown staples are still sold and readily available for installing shingles.

Some manufacturers will still honor warranties, provided that the staples are installed per their EXPLICIT instructions.

That being said, staples are highly susceptible to installer-error, thereby compromising roof integrity.

Nails will always be a better way to hold the shingles in place, and staples should probably NEVER be used where any kind of wind is expected.

If your customer insists on you using staples, kindly explain the pros and cons, as well as liability issues. And if all else fails, show them the back of the shingle wrapper!

There are still roofers around here(stockton, ca)who nstill use staples.

Are they also using Elmer’s Glue instead of roofing cement? :roll:

While most installers will carry a gun,a hammer,a utility knife and look around the roof to figure out where they sat the hammer tacker down, we use one tool.
AJC fixed gauge roofing hatchet.While Joe Average is setting up equipment we’re putting on shingles.While Joe is looking for his tacker ,we’re nailing down felt.While Joe is putting his gun down to get his knife out,we’re cutting shingles.We use the blade ,we use the gauge.
The only good thing about staples is that it’s quick for the guy putting it on.Alot depends on the integrity of the installer but IMO a gun nailed roof is only slightly better the stapled,not superior to.

[quote=“1st Rate Roofer”]While most installers will carry a gun,a hammer,a utility knife and look around the roof to figure out where they sat the hammer tacker down, we use one tool.
AJC fixed gauge roofing hatchet.While Joe Average is setting up equipment we’re putting on shingles.While Joe is looking for his tacker ,we’re nailing down felt.While Joe is putting his gun down to get his knife out,we’re cutting shingles.We use the blade ,we use the gauge.
The only good thing about staples is that it’s quick for the guy putting it on.Alot depends on the integrity of the installer but IMO a gun nailed roof is only slightly better the stapled,not superior to.[/quote]

If gun nailed RITE it is Much Much better than stapled!..And when joe average has got his equipment set up joe average will sail on past joe hatchet,and when joe average finds his tacker same thing sails on past mr.hatchet…

Is Joe Hatchet Amish?

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif

im ok with tin tabs and staples for dryin,
but not shingle attachment.

gweedo.