Are not attached shingles ok?

We recently had our roof done and found that there was an area where they removed the wood around a vent and didn’t anchor the shingles to wood creating a soft spot on the roof. We noticed they put a patch on the other felt and didn’t leave it open. The soft spot looks like:

Is this ok for a roof?

No, it is not. If you call the roofer back out, he should be able to correct it with no problem

The issue with that is that is the potential of someone stepping in the spot where there is no wood underneath. If the area was smaller I’d say its a non issue but that really should be addressed.

Typically it’s not OK to leave broken substrate material within a roof assembly but it happens more then it should. Is it going to cause problems, absolutely. Why? That exhaust duct requires a sheet metal flashing (T-Top) to be secured to the substrate at 4" on center. From that image it appears to be minimally secured, I hope you don’t get very high winds.

The shingles on your roof serve a dual purpose. They give the roof a finished look, while forming a protective seal. Lumpy, bumpy or curling shingles that do not lie flat can be problematic, but don’t hire a new roofer yet. The extent of the problem depends upon many factors, including the age of the roof, the outdoor temperature and the overall condition of the roof. In some cases, the shingles will almost magically fix themselves, but in other cases, costly repairs might be necessary.

If you can see voids or gaps beneath the bottom edges of the shingles, even after the roof has had a chance to seal, the problem might be due to faulty installation. New shingles come with a nailing guide, which resembles a horizontal strip on the top of each shingle. When the roofer positions the shingles as directed by the manufacturer and inserts the nails only in the nailing guide, the next row of shingles will cover the nails on the first row and seal down correctly. Incorrectly nailed shingles can permit the layer beneath to slip slightly, which can result in uneven shingles. Lapping shingles is another installation error often made by do-it-yourselfers or unreliable roofing companies. Shingles should be butted snugly side-by-side in each horizontal row. Lapping the shingles can prevent the shingles from sealing. Before hiring a roofing contractor, ask for references to ensure the contractor is reputable.

Again, this adds nothing relevant to the question. I am guessing you are just copy and pasting your blog entries here. Am I right?

1 Like