Are you tired?

Oh man, you guys are nasty! Nasty nasty nasty!

you brought up the gynecology…yuck.[/list]

Happy depends on what we are talking about. If you know how to do your job to defeat the low ballers and reject the cheap customers well then yes im happy! hella time

Yeah, I am very happy to know that I get HIGH BIDDERS very frustrated in no time. It’s a method I developed and it works like a charm. I usually hit a never or two by using truth.

My method get’s rid of HIGH BIDDERS who think they are giving quality when in reality they are compensating their inability to compete succuessfully in the marketplace.

To each his/her own I guess :mrgreen:

You see, Joe, the whole world isnt setup to work for nothing. High bidders may very well have legitimate reasons to be the high bidders…not every customer is a lowballin fool, either.

Why should I compete with lowballers when I KNOW 100% that my work is to industry standards or better, and a thousand times better than those that smack 'em down and tar everything then leave?

You think we should all be low bidding, but those kinda customers are nothing but trouble, joe. Youre probably one of them.

Tell me again why I shouold lower my standards to suit the customer’s budget again, joe. I am not quite understnading it.

Somethign everybody isn’t thinking about, high bidding is their niche. These companies high bid because they want to. Their strength isn’t in their installations, it is in their salesmen. These companies are in business to sell, not to install, they don’t really care what they are installing, because they are selling. That is why joe123’s salesman kept pushing for a close, because thats his job.

Look at one of the more popular gutter protection systems, it is all in the marketing and selling. These guys are 2-3-4 times more expensive than everybody else, are they that much better in quality? not a chance, but at their high prices, they only need to sell a fraction of the quantity of the cheap guys. Plus they have the customer with the “you get what you pay for” mentality, and the most important part, the great marketing department.

Another example is Sears, they also are salesmen, they sell, again, they don’t care about the installations, most are your everyday subs doing the work. The salesmen only need to sell a fraction of the jobs that you and I do and they are making more money because they aren’t kicking out as much money to the insurance companies, IRS, and suppliers. But they are raking in the profits!!!

something to think about.

Not at all sir! You keep missing my point.

This is a very simplistic example, but very close to the truth for some of the legit contractors I know.

Roofing contractor A does say around 40 new roofs a years while Roofing contracotor B does say one a month, or 12. Lets say both are roughly good quality contractors.

Contractor B will get better pricing on many things because he just sells more, period. His costs are spread over 40 sales while the other contractor has to spread it over 12. Simple example is adversting - say 2,000 bucks divided by 40 or by 12.

Should contractor B be mad at contractor A just becuase he sells for less?

[quote=“G-Tape”]Somethign everybody isn’t thinking about, high bidding is their niche. These companies high bid because they want to. Their strength isn’t in their installations, it is in their salesmen. These companies are in business to sell, not to install, they don’t really care what they are installing, because they are selling. That is why joe123’s salesman kept pushing for a close, because thats his job.
[/quote]

My goodness - [size=150]finally[/size] someone who is getting the picture.

Yes, the $100,000.00 bid I got for 39 squares was not because I was problamatic customer ( although he might have been up to something there :twisted: ), but because he was trying to sell.

I got people here saying that I simply got 100k bid because they did not want to do the work. For crying out loud, any SMART, let’s repeat, any SMART contractor (please note and repeat to self, SMART contractor) will NEVER turn down any job, they will simply INFLATE the price because if they get it, they can sub-out the work and still cash in on the difference.

Can someone tell me why they would want to work intentionally for less money?

Joe , if yoyu could make more doing whatever it is you do, wouldnt you?

I am rarely the high bid, and never the low bid, and we work all year long doing quality installs…whats wrong with that?

[quote=“AaronB.”]Can someone tell me why they would want to work intentionally for less money?

Joe , if yoyu could make more doing whatever it is you do, wouldnt you?

I am rarely the high bid, and never the low bid, and we work all year long doing quality installs…whats wrong with that?[/quote]

No no no, I agree with you. Being in the middle ground is good. In my 100k bid, my neighbor which has the same identical house did his for around 13k a few years ago. At 100k, that is way out there - HIGH BID which some here find it normal and justifiable :mrgreen:

As for your first question - funny you asked. Yes, as a matter of fact, I can be making almost twice - yes TWICE what I make now but it would be a high preasure technical job which I elect not to do. The type of job where one wrong key stroke can take the entire company’s computer systems down. Not a good thing at an airport for example :smiley:

So to answer your question probably to your surprise, “If I could make more money, would I” answer is NO, make that HELL NO WAY NO! Been there, done that…

Nowyourejustbickering.

Bickering for being honest? That’s a new one.

So did I get-cha with my honest answer that I prefer not to get a higher salary if I can? Sure sounds like I got-cha on that one :mrgreen:

Come on fess-up :smiley:

OK,in simpler terms…if you could keep your current job with your current employer, and make more money doing what youre doing, but doing itbetter than everyone else in your office, would you?

Im no slater, but something just doesnt look right. Am I mistaken?

Again and honestly speaking, I already do better than everyone else in my arena only because of my personal experience and knowledge in my field which is very technical. I am not bragging, it’s just that the others lack the education and/or experience.

So if you take that out from you statement above, then yes since everything else would be identical - anyone answering otherwise would be lying.

Now, with the example above but knowing that by getting more money means someone else will have to be let go, or something along those lines, then no.

My point exactly

[quote=“AaronB.”]
My point exactly[/quote]

So AaronB, you never answered my post, let me ask you again:

Roofing contractor A does say around 40 new roofs a years while Roofing contracotor B does say one a month, or 12. Lets say both are roughly good quality contractors.

Contractor B will get better pricing on many things because he just sells more, period. His costs are spread over 40 sales while the other contractor has to spread it over 12. Simple example is adversting - say 2,000 bucks divided by 40 or by 12.

Should contractor B be mad at contractor A just becuase he sells for less?

Reality has a way of doing that. :mrgreen:

If that was the case, then no, but that is nary the scenario, joe.