Argument

So today an adjuster from Foremost Insurance called me on a file we are mutually working on. The adjusters estimate paid $179 per sq. for a 20 YR, 1-story, 5/12 pitch roof. I submitted an estimate for $221 sq using Xactimate. The adjuster from Foremost stated that they no longer use Xactimate for pricing and that other contractors in the area would gladly do the roof for his amount. I am sure many contractors without proper insurance could in fact do this for his price, however it appears that all efforts to convince the adjuster to increase his price has failed. Do you guys have any thoughts on this or ways to better approach this scenario? He proceeded to tell me that he would contact the homeowner and suggest using another roofing.

Im sure they could find someone to do it for nothing. These people are scum.

I get this all the time. I just have the HO show the adjuster the signed contract and to remind the adjuster that it’s his job to make me. the Ho WHOLE again! Not look for the cheapest roof around.
And each time the adjuster comes back to argue, I say I’m glad he called and tell him I missed something else and the price went up $XXX. Do that twice and they pay fast before it gets really high.
My last one went from $350. to $1,6xx. before they quit arguing. I got it too.

thats a big prob where im from. there is no accreited coures or programs to become a certified roofer. guys who shingled a dog house or helped there brother shingle a shed all of a suddon think they are master roofers. they advertise as a company do it on the side for way less then exp roofer would do, and more times then not do a shitty job if they evan finish.

To begin with, you need the Homeowner on your side. If you don’t, you have a tough road to travel.

The easiest way for this to work would be for the Homeowner to call their Agent, tell the Agent they have chosen their Contractor, the bid is based on Xactimate which represents fair market value and they expect their market value bid to be met. It is irrelevant there are companies in your area that will replace the roof for the insurance estimate. Unless their policy is different than most, they are not obliged to accept the lowest bid. As long as the bid they have is in line with market value, the insurance must honor that estimate.

You could get the Customer to sign a contract with the amount of your estimate on that contract. You could even add a clause that said it is contingent upon approval by their insurance. You could then send that contract, with a copy of your estimate, to the company. I would attempt to bypass the field adjuster and try to have a conversation with an inside adjuster.

Bottom line, if you have the customer behind you and you are persistent, tenacious and a bit patient, you should be successful.

Many shingle manufacturers have programs to help you with being certified,Certainteed has Master programs.,Do good work with proper insurance and become a Shingle Master Co., Master Elite etc.The more legitimate and the more you can distance yourself from these "posers"the better you will look, even after all of that DON"T be discouraged because HO’s will always be looking for that contractor from " Saggy Ceilings Roofing Co. with a pouch and a truck that will save them a few bucks.The N.R.C.A has some great programs too.If you ask me I think that some HO’s have it coming because of they’re greed.,serves them right,they (some)whine and cry about the treatment they receive but if you put yourself in that situation then what? who is to blame?.,and the funny thing about it is these HO’s have had this happen time and time again.,Ignorance is doing something over expecting a different result or outcome.Not all HO’s fall into this category since some are innocent and are really taken for a ride which is sad.Lol

Have the HO call their agent and raise hell.

What Authentic explained is what I am dealing with right now.

The INS company says they will pay 7200$ to replace a two story 10 pitch 60 SQUARE roof. Shingles are missing every where. The first adjuster didn’t want to get on the roof and they have yet to send out another one. He made that decision off the ground.

The Homeowner wants us to do the roof. We signed a valid contingency agreement and they are at the point where they are ready to pay out of pocket for the roof so they don’t get any leaks once the snow starts to melt.

I have a feeling they will pay.

Insurance companies like to make money. The only way they make money is to receive your payments and not pay anything out.

[quote=“BAMBAMM5144”]
The INS company says they will pay 7200$ to replace a two story 10 pitch 60 SQUARE roof.[/quote]

I am assuming they are only paying a partial replacement at that cost?

What state are you in oldtimer?

Do you have a signed contract with the HO?

[quote=“BAMBAMM5144”]
The INS company says they will pay 7200$ to replace a two story 10 pitch 60 SQUARE roof. quote]

Is the policy an ACV ?

If not that is about $120 per sq.Thats even super low for a recover.,I would be pi**ed too.[/quote]

Charlotte, NC

[quote=“BAMBAMM5144”]What Authentic explained is what I am dealing with right now.

The INS company says they will pay 7200$ to replace a two story 10 pitch 60 SQUARE roof. Shingles are missing every where. The first adjuster didn’t want to get on the roof and they have yet to send out another one. He made that decision off the ground.

The Homeowner wants us to do the roof. We signed a valid contingency agreement and they are at the point where they are ready to pay out of pocket for the roof so they don’t get any leaks once the snow starts to melt.

I have a feeling they will pay.

Insurance companies like to make money. The only way they make money is to receive your payments and not pay anything out.[/quote]

If the homeowner has owned the house and paid enough insurance premiums, tell them to instruct the insurance company to refund ALL of their premiums with interest over the years if they aren’t going to honor the policy.

One of the biggest problems here is that Foremost is more of a holding company than an insurance company. As a holding company, they are more concerned with investor returns than with customer “returns”.

Even if the best and most qualified contractor in town does not truly know how to process storm damage claims, he/she will never successfully price them properly - especially if using Xactimate. Xactimate does not represent fair market value and, therefore, is unreliable (and several juries have agreed).

There is a better and more profitable way!

Its a RCV policy.

Problem was, adjuster came from Texas and was afraid to get on the roof although it was fully visible from the ground that this roof was missing numerous sections of shingles. His numbers came from him measuring and eye balling on the ground. He was off 18 square.

The homeowner was so fed up, they were ready to just pay for it themselves (they have the money). I told them that as bad as I want to do their roof, that isn’t fair to them, especially since their insurance has always been paid.

We both made numerous calls and on Monday they requested a copy of our proposal. We sent it to them, and should know by tomorrow whether they are going to send out for a re-inspection or if we are going to have to pursue other avenues.

Funny thing is, this is the same insurance company I dealt with the end of October and just got a call from them today that they are finally going to have it re-inspected after a 9 weeks of fighting.

Why dont you file a complaint against the ins co with your local department of insurance in whatever state you are in. Then, formally request a reinspect, get an appraisal, engineer, and then umpire to defend this. Most roofs in TX are predominantly 8/12-10/12 and are 2 story in the Greater Houston area.

Oldtimer…

It does appear that Foremost is a subsidary holding company of Farmers Ins. Grp which is a subsidary of Zurich Financial Services Grp. in Zurich, Switzerland.

Send a short business like note to the adjuster telling him you believe his attempt to under pay the claim to be bad faith and his suggestion that other contractors in the area will do the job for his price to be “tortious interfernce” that you intend to hold him personally liable for. Let him know you will be Cc’ing the same note to the Zurich CEO in Switzerland. Then send a fax containing the same information to Zurich investor relations in Switzerland addressed to CEO Martin Senn.

I took that course of action years ago when I had a problem with several Farmers adjusters. You wouldn’t believe how fast and how many underlings behinds caught on fire and how fast my claims were then paid. Fax to: Zurich Financial Services Ltd
Investor Relations
Mythenquai 2
P.O. Box
8022 Zurich
Switzerland
Fax: +41 44 625 02 99
Phone: +41 44 625 22 99

I would love to get $179 per square for that type of roof in my area nowdays

Material for the average job costs me $130/sq

wow!!! im right at $90 per square using oc oakridge 2 with hip and ridge capping, 15lb felt, ice and water sheild nails and button caps…$67 of that is for the shingles