Asbestos shingles

I think I may have posted this before, but I’m wondering how everyone feels about tearing off asbestos shingles. I need to find out exactly what the laws are in my area, but just from a health standpoint, what is everyone’s opinion? Are there real risks as long as you’re not breaking the shingles and making them all dusty?

We have tore them of a few times. I always make the guys were dust masks.

We had to do it in funny white suits and masks and gloves, we try to avoid them now…

Over here in Ca. you need a asbestos removal lic. from the state. You can remove some asbestos without a lic. but only for a small repair. We sub the removal to an asbestos removal Co. and stay away from all the red tape and dust.

id find a company that specializes in asbestos removal. its not worth the health risks to do it yourself or the fact that you cant just dump it anywhere. if you do you place others at risk.

Here is what I learned about asbestos law in VA. You can remove non-friable asbestos yourself, provided you follow osha’s safety regs. Shingles fall into the non-friable category. A 20 yard dumpster can be provided from a local co for 585, this is a special lined dumpster specifically for asbestos. Regularly 300.

I’m still not sure if I want to do it. But it also seems as though the stigma is worse than the reality. Probably because of lawyers.

I use to get every asbestos job i bid on.
Now i just wont give an estimate at all. I dont want it.
I feel that i have already abused my body and my mens enough with it.

Get masks for everybody, then discover how much is getting past the mask. You’ll see. Im ashamed to say i did more jobs without a mask than with one.
Homeowners and Neighbors watching men with masks on creates a new set of problems.

After you remove a section, do not sweep.
Use a blower. Find exactly which way the wind is blowing and blow off your section in the direction of the wind and of course do not have any men working in that direction. You will see shiny particles floating in the air everywhere glistening off the sun.
Try to hold your breath for long periods. :slight_smile:

[quote=“shangle_nailer”]Here is what I learned about asbestos law in VA. You can remove non-friable asbestos yourself, provided you follow osha’s safety regs. Shingles fall into the non-friable category. A 20 yard dumpster can be provided from a local co for 585, this is a special lined dumpster specifically for asbestos. Regularly 300.

I’m still not sure if I want to do it. But it also seems as though the stigma is worse than the reality. Probably because of lawyers.[/quote]

As long as you are not saw-cutting the asbestos shingles, you should generally be alright. However, there usually is a fair amount of dust left on the underlayment after the asbestos shingles are removed.

I don’t know the Va law anymore, but after the big asbestos scare went away, most areas just required air-monitoring to begin with and then if the air-monitoring showed acceptable levels you could stop with it as long as you don’t change demolition methods.

In Massachusetts you dont even think of touching that stuff unless you have an abatement licence. Your men shoulld where a hepa filter mask “half mask respirator”. the dust is deadly. I once had an asbestos licence but didnt renew it.

I just did a asbestos repair ,about 5 brokens slates i just made some replacements out of metal.Didn’t want the job to begin with so i bid it for $2000 and the h/o went for it.If you do the job just make sure its more than worth it,imo.

torn off many.
i think im allrite.
were a little wht mask if it makes it better.
dumpin it you will find harder than tearin it off.

gweedo