Bad Installation?

After looking at your pictures pretty closely, I’m positive it’s not a felt issue. In one of your pictures I noticed that there is a large hump near the gutter, that looks to me like a bump in the decking. Your roofer would not be responsible for that unless a provision for that was made in you contract. Otherwise it looks very typical of a cold weather installation.

Heres a roof I installed, the picture could be better but I was done in cold weather. It looked much much worse then yours when it was finished. I had to wait until spring to go back and take the picture for the web site.

]http://www.restoremyhome.com/JPGraycar.htm

the shingles are dimensional and should look rustic,they are raised from the way they were stacked,i think youll be very happy by the end of summer(1st week 90-95 they will lay down)if not then call him to fix any possible shingle installation nails----you should pay the man already,because otherwise you have an unfulfilled contract and are not entitled to any warranty service---didnt you look at some of his work prior to hiring him,i assume you liked what you saw----when you do pay will you include interest on the money for the time you held onto it----anyway,what i`d be concerned with would be the cement cap to the chimney which appears broken in the photo-have a nice day :roll:

this looks like a typical winter install to me. One concern I had was the porch roof… I wouldn’t shingle that, i think its not steep enough for shingles and I hope the entire surface has ice and water barrier on it as a back up roof. Other than that, the physical appearance will be gone IMO, and anyhow, you can’t hold a check for “esthetics”. you should have done more homework to either trust your roofer or accept the results. Its the middle of the winter, if your porch isnt leaking pay your roofer, he is being an honest reputable guy, and refer him to someone else.

Well, I for one think the roofer didn’t do a good job in communicating to the customer things they should expect, things they should NOT expect & what to do when variables pop up (i.e. what’s the cost or process with rotten decking?).

Obviously, in the “what to NOT expect” category, humpy shingles from a cold weather installation is first & foremost. One caveat, though, is that if the originator of this thread got estimates from multiple sources & not one of them said anything about the potential for lumpy shingles as part of their estimate.

As for paying the guy, if he has stated the customer can keep 1/2 for a little while longer IMO that’s a stand up guy who is wanting to make sure the client is satisfied with the project & in his reputation. I, for one, couldn’t afford to let someone else sit on that kind of bank for very long. Then again, I do think he would have been a BETTER roofer (sales person) if he had done the full advance ‘what to expect’ part.

Ranch that is good advise. I agree with that totally. I have always told customers when it is cold outside like it is that the roof will settle down when the temp rises around 60 or so. There is nothing i can do about it the way the weather is and it is no cause for alarm.

i agree w/ your point ranchhand as that`s what i do also