Bad Roofing Job?

gweedo, I’ve seen many “roofers” low nail felt. :frowning:

Curious… you said $ 5,400.00 & “about what you expected”.

Can you fill us in on a few basic items?

What state are you in?
Squares?
Pitch(es)?
Dimensional or strips?
1 Story or more?
Any extras?

NC
36 total squares; 7 new construction, 29 rip-off and re-roof
4 1/2 pitch
30 yr. architectural shingles
1 story
Add ridge vent, re-work base of chimney, reflash & forget how to properly place roofing nails.

Without the paper work in front of me, I think he quoted me (NO MATERIAL COST ) $35 / sq. for new roof, $65 /sq. for rip-off and reroof,
$200 for install of ridge vent, and $10 - $15/ roll to install felt.

Hope this helps you out

Sounds cheap, cheap, cheap to me! But I’m also not in North Carolina.

Wow if the 5400 for 36 squares is correct than yes it is a cheap job. 150 a square is well giving it away. Hey send us a pic of your house. Does the home have enough of a ridge to support the ridge vent?

Just a small ranch with a small pitch. Why wouldn’t it support a ridge vent? Another company quoted me $165 / sq. and I’ve seen their work, it was good, quick & cleanup was excellent from a tear-off they did.
You Yankees have to remember that we can roof all winter long down here so we don’t have to charge to make up for the slow down time that you may have when you get 8 snow storms in 5 weeks.

Cost of living, skilled workmen, insurances are the biggest factors in low pricing.

Anyways, what gtpe was asking is…do you have enough ridge to properly vent your attic with ridge vent?

oh gtpe, i like that.
and yes mr fine. that is cheap, even for florida.
but to me, some low nails are the least of your worrys.

so buy your self some black jack in a caulk tube, hand it to the roofer and tell him to put a dab on each one of the nails, and move on with your life.

gweedo.

low nails are better than low nails forsure.

uh edit , mr buster.

gweedo.

what? :?:

Well, the roofers showed up yesterday and proceded up on the roof with their magic fix - it in their hands: tubes of black silicone. Nothing special, just the same thing I can buy at Lowe’s.
They appeared slightly peplexed when I told them no silicone.
So, my saga has ended with all the shingles replaced that needed to be.
1 hour & 15 minutes is all it took them, no big deal.

Thanks for all the advice.

I am glad it worked out…did they use pry bars to remove the nails and then remove the shingles in question?

The reason I asnk is because I have seen plenty cut the tab off and slide a piece under. They should have removed the nails and dis-assembled two rows of nails to fix one shingle.

Good! Whats really funny about the hole thing is it cost them more time and money then to pull the shingle when they hit the low nail in the first place. Not only that but the money from the referals you could of gave them.

Yea, I watched them for a minute here and there. Had a pry bar and replaced the whole shingle. I assume they removed all of the nails they needed to.

CRAP WORK,a quality roofer works on proper installation 1st,speed second,there`s a white nail line for crying out loud,btw-happens on 3-tabs too, okay roof buster how many sq.s a day? aaron-low nail felt???