Best way to finish roof/stucco wall

I have taken quotes and advice from 5-6 roofers on how to handle the cosmetic issue of where the new roof shingles meet the stucco wall of the house. This will be in many areas of the roof such as the portico, side porch roof, and dormers. Some roofers say they must remove a few inches of stucco in a straight line to properly flash etc, then i can call a stucco guy to restucco over the flashing. Another roofer suggested counter flashing to finish the job.

I feel that the counter flashing will look awkward, I don’t see any other stucco homes around with that type of flashing border where roof meets stucco wall. However, the new stucco application will be too hard to get it to look seamless and it will likely crack in the future and no longer be watertight. Plus how will they ever match the house color perfectly so there’s no visible line of new color?

How is this usually handled? I am reaching out here to see if more roofers from other parts of the country have advice on this topic. (I tried to post a picture of my house but can’t figure it out.) Thanks for your help.

Stucco is difficult to deal with properly.

Let the roofers put in the flashings they want, then let the stucco guys fix the stucco.

Why doesn’t this building already have flashing?

I imagine it is already properly flashed, but we are putting on a new roof, right down to the rafters with new plywood. so new flashing will need to be installed and therefore creating the issue I speak of. Any ideas?

Lay your flashing right up against the wall as you would bare wood, etc. Then cut a raglet directly into the stucco and counterflash; finish by filling the raglet with high quality urethane like NP-1. If the stucco is bad to the point where you can not cut a raglet for some reason then cut out the stucco 4-5" off the roof deck, remove the cut piece and use a piece of 1"x… to form a raglet, and counterflash; finish by filling the raglet with high quality urethane like NP-1.

This is the best way imo because new stucco does NOT mate well with old stucco. It looks good for awhile but a separation will form between the original stucco and the repair allowing leakage.

Thanks for your reply tarmonkey. This method you suggested is one of the two I am contemplating. Won’t it look odd to have that visible flashing a few inches up the wall? I live in an old neighborhood and can’t find a single old stucco home that has it to get an idea of the result.

In the end I will probably go this way because it will be more watertight than a stucco repair that eventually cracks. However, I do so with reservations about how it looks.

Won’t it look odd to have that visible flashing a few inches up the wall?

Yes, IMO it does look a bit odd. It’s still the best solution however and in just a few months time the copper will weather to a dull chocolate
brown, making it much less visible.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9985/masino1.jpg

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]Lay your flashing right up against the wall as you would bare wood, etc. Then cut a raglet directly into the stucco and counterflash; finish by filling the raglet with high quality urethane like NP-1. If the stucco is bad to the point where you can not cut a raglet for some reason then cut out the stucco 4-5" off the roof deck, remove the cut piece and use a piece of 1"x… to form a raglet, and counterflash; finish by filling the raglet with high quality urethane like NP-1.

This is the best way imo because new stucco does NOT mate well with old stucco. It looks good for awhile but a separation will form between the original stucco and the repair allowing leakage.[/quote]

This is IMHO the best way to deal with stucco, if the old flashing is to corroded/full of nail holes or it came out of a bucket. I’ve done a lot of houses with real old stucco. Removing some to install new step flashing and aprons under it is a nightmare. Quite often the paint is the only thing holding it together at the roof/wall junction. Going on the outside with step and counter in a raglett is reliable and attractive. Copper is best, but colored aluminium coil can be used to either contrast or blend with the body color of the house. Good Luck! :slight_smile:

To go with the method using counterflashing and the raglett - is there any flashing that comes pre-bent for the raglett? or does the contractor have to bend it himself? (I was told by a roofer today they have to bend it) How long will the NP-1 last? Does that need to be maintained every few years?

Counter-flashing sizes can differ from job to job so yes, it’s something typically fabricated on site. NP-1 lists a
“lifespan” of up to 20yrs.

saudi-basf.com/EN/PRODUCTS/J … fault.aspx

i hate messing with stucco :evil:

I feel that the counter flashing will look awkward, I don’t see any other stucco homes around with that type of flashing border where roof meets stucco wall. However, the new stucco application will be too hard to get it to look seamless and it will likely crack in the future and no longer be watertight. Plus how will they ever match the house color perfectly so there’s no visible line of new color?