Blue roof removal

I live in an area that was affected by Hurricane Ida last fall but was lucky enough to only lose 5-6 shingles. Corps of Engineers came in and out a blue roof up. Now I’ve the option of paying $3k premium for insurance to cover new roof or just replacing the missing shingles myself for free. If I remove the blue roof, which is nailed down, do I have to seal all the nail holes to avoid leaks? What’s the best sealant for this?

I gained a bit of insight into the program basics by reading up on it for a few minutes. The purposeful longevity of the blue roof is stated as 30 days and after that, the repairs are your burden.

The program seems to require consent through application before a blue roof is applied. By accepting the installation, this action implies your existing roof does not meet standards and rightfully is not insurable in it’s present state. No different than a vehicular write-off in my opinion.

The blue roof seems mechanically fastened, and when that fastening is removed, the roof will need replacement, or approved repair, to become insurable again. Patching that many holes with a sealant is kicking the can down the road. I’d say you leave the blue roof in place until you arrange warrantied/insurable repairs.

I also don’t think anyone would be foolish enough to suggest a bit of sealant would be a wise alternative for longer than 30 days. So all this said, get a bucket of roofing tar and don’t bother looking for the magic sealant because the roof requires “proper” repairs. Sealing holes is a bandaid to replace another bandaid that may already be better than sealant.

So you’re saying I could remove the blue roof and replace the missing shingles then tar/rubber over the whole thing as a sufficient repair?

That is what you want to hear and not what I am saying. I am saying you are simply replacing one bandaid solution for another. If the blue roof has failed and you are looking for another temporary fix, maybe try patching the holes until the roof can either be replaced or repaired TEMPORARILY to a point where it is insurable. This will mean you need to call your insurance company and ask whether your proposed “fixes” will make your roof insurable once again, or whether you are required to replace the whole thing.

Unless someone will warranty the repair against a catastrophic failure, your solution and the perils that come with it, is solely on your shoulders. Use tar, silicone sealant or chewing gum for all it matters but do not expect anyone should take responsibility for any repair that may not be “approved” by those burdened with warrantying or insuring it.

1 Like

The whole thing sounds weird. The Corp of Engineers? Everytime a Hurricane hits Texas, the blue roofs show up everywhere. If I go to 100 homes with tarps on them, maybe 10 have major, whole house area damage. The other 90% have 2 or 3 shingles blown off-- , 3" limb has poked a hole, or they had a leak and there is no shingle damage. The tarp installation ends up damaging the roof beyond a simple repair. I believe it’s done on purpose.
The tarp guy gets $600-$1200 but ends up damaging the roof beyond simple cost. This sounds like what happened to you.
If you’re my customer, I’m going to figure a way to dry you in that only effects the problem area. I’m not going to put 1000 nail holes to hold a tarp down, when you have a plumbing vent leaking. My customers get tarps tied to stakes on the ground, fastened to fascia and fastened through ridge, that is simple to replace. I’m not going to fasten through your valley, into the next slope.

Now i’m reliving some anger I have with the blue tarp thieves. If you are a blue tarp theif, sorry I offended your guilty conscience.

3 Likes

Yes Rooferama, total agreement.
Anyone breaking out the blue tarps are ignorant about where the leak actually is.
No reason to cause all the extra damage or leave something unsightly( very noticeable blue. tarp.
Even if a bunch of shingles have blown off, there is still no need for it.
I am thinking it is usually to collect the tarp installation charge from the insurance company and to add pressure to them to replace the roof.

Ive heard several of them joke
Around about how you cant get the roof paid for unless you put the tarp up.
That is standard procedure with many of these public adjusters.
They are usually professional enough to not put a whole bunch of new holes in the roof.

Hey, guys, I haven’t seen this out west but it sure looks and smells like a scam to me. Got any recommended reading on this? Out here, we get a firestorm and there is no roof left to install a tarp. Hummmm, fireproof tarp business?