Botched? Carlisle EPDM-the Bad & Ugly?

Hello-

This roof is located in Pennsylvania and measures 40’ x 24’ and has less than 1’ of pitch over the 12’ between the peak and the gutters. A local company contracted to apply the rubber (060 & fiberboard) to the “flat roof” and shingles to the front porch and gable details.

I am concerned that the installation is not up to professional standards and that the roof may not have the longevity that it should.

-Thank You for looking at the roof, I sure do Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. I look forward to any comments you can post.

flickr.com/photos/56364118@N … 210175641/

%between%

WOW ! Thats what comes to mind after seeing those pictures. I don’t have any experience with this type of roof system but I can still tell you it’s badly installed. There are alot of guys here that are fully knowledgeable on these types of system and how they should be properly installed. good luck

IDIOTS! I don’t mean the installers. I mean the Company that sent them out.

Does Carlisle sell to just anybody nowadays?

Hello,

Sorry but that roof is totaled and I don’t think that Carlisle warranties residential roofs.
The biggest concern is the seam tape on top of the seam. THESE GUYS ARE NOT ROOFERS!!! Seam tape goes between the membrane to bond them and then you could put a cover strip over the lap. You need to have the owner of the company come out and look. They need to replace the whole roof. It will be lucky to last through the winter.

j.m.o.

Keith

I don’t get it. Anyone with half a brain who watched some epdm videos online could do a better job than that. Call the company and tell them you want it fixed by a professional.

Terrible waste of material. Got any pics of the shingle work? They didn’t suggest tearing the chimney down?

:shock:

Any ideas how I should deal with this mess? the guy has all but $500 of the bill ( and is demanding the $500 ) what would you guys suggest. Thanks for any specific terminology as to defects you see in the photos could help me be more precise.

THANK YOU !!!

No they did not ask about the chimney, I did, and he said they could get to it after the roof for $100.

I will post some shingle photos this afternoon.

Thanks!

These guys know nothing about rubber roofs. You need to have this looked at and reroofed by a real roofer ASAP before your ceiling collapses. Im not joking either.

That is the worst epdm roof I have ever seen. Sorry to say that you need to have the roof replaced again before you have damage to the inside. Not sure who put that roof on but I belive they need to find line of work because they absoultly have no idea of how to put on a epdm roof :shock:

No they did not ask about the chimney, I did, and he said they could get to it after the roof for $100.

Photos of the shingle work below:

flickr.com/photos/56364118@N … 482163864/

“Businesses” like that tend to run on low margins. The $500 is probably the profit…maybe Gross Profit :smiley:

The first thing you need to do is get a company who is licensed and insured who also installs Carlisle on a regular basis. You might try contacting Carlisle directly about this, if nothing else they can give you names of contractors in your area. Ask them to come inspect your roof and generate a punch list of problems. You’ll probably have to pay for this.

Armed with your inspection report, confront the morons who installed the roof and inform them that you wnat your money back.

When they refuse, sue them for the amount you have paid them so far and add in any incidental expenses, such as the estimate. Bring all your paperwork to court with you. Report them to the better business beaureau and any local or state agencies that oversee construction.

You might try reporting them for fraudelent work to the AG, might be a stretch, but worth a shot.

This hurts my eyes to look at . I don’t think you had to ask if it was right. looks like they spilled tape primer on the Rubber. Well, all you can do is hope that it doesn’t leak. Sure looks ugly. What did they do, put some sort of paint on the seams? The only time I put anything on the top of the seams is if it is going under concrete or a deck. Use the uncured as a seam tape and the cured cover tape as a second line of defense. Yuck…YUCK.

Carlisle is not warranted for Residential application. I cant even buy Carlisle and im a member of the NRCA with 40 employees. It might be Versico which is a Carlisle line with another name. both made at same factory with same reps. That cannot be repaired! I mean none of it!! Needs to be replaced ASAP!!!

It is possible for it to be Carlisle all the same. I have a roll of it in my yard I plan to use on my house. I bought when I did a custoner’s building. It could be any number of things, but the simple fact that Carlisle isn’t approved for residential has no bearing on whether or not this roof is their product.

@ WarGoddes - can you make your avatar smaller? it blocks off part of your post.

This roof, and other roofs in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Tef960jmw) - that is why I advice homeowners to stay away from rubber roofing. While commercial guys usually know what they are doing - Joe the shingles doing a rubber roof will screw it up 90% of the time.

[quote=“LAMetalRoofs”]@ WarGoddes - can you make your avatar smaller? it blocks off part of your post.

This roof, and other roofs in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Tef960jmw) - that is why I advice homeowners to stay away from rubber roofing. While commercial guys usually know what they are doing - Joe the shingles doing a rubber roof will screw it up 90% of the time.

Come on LA, you and I both know that the choice in material has nothing to do with the installation quality.
I hate that shinglers are automatically lumped into the category of not being able to do anything else. 90% huh-you got stats on that?? Its a bunch of BS. Obviously this guy doesn’t know what he’s doing, but that makes it true for him alone.[/quote]