Broken decking replaced with metal sheeting

I have a new roof and it has the dreaded 1x6 decking under it. I noticed from inside the attic that there were a few places with pretty good size pieces of decking missing. They went over these places with roll metal and then roofed over it. They said this is common practice and all roofers do this. They say it’s the best fix short of re-decking the whole roof, which can be very costly. What is your opinion of this practice? Thanks!!

it is not the best way to do things. how big a hole are you talking about? do you have some pictures?

???

Besides the bridge in Brooklyn, I’ve got some nice waterfront property in Florida I can give you a deal on.

Not common practice.

Knot wholes I’ll use flat tin, Broken 1x6 I’ll replace
with at least a 4’ 1x . State farm here requires redeck if 1xs has more than a 1/4" gap between them.

Excuse me. hole

Q: Will a piece of valley metal hold a roofing nail?
A: No. That’s what the wood is for.

Your roofer is a hack, or he has hacks on his crew & they cheated both you AND him.

If it’s something he had no idea about, then he missed a chance to charge you for parts & labor.

If it’s something he saw & told you “it’s common, no big deal”, then he’s a hack. I hope you didn’t pay in full because dollars should definitely be withheld.

.33 square in the area around an isolated metal patch so that a proper 1x6 can be plugged in, then felted, then shingled.

This is an example of $hit work.

***[size=150]PLEASE[/size]***, let us know what city / county / area / region / state (or something specific) you are in & by all means, say some names.

somtimes its just easier to install 3/8" CDX plywood sheathing right over the old crappy decking.

let us know what city / county / area / region / state (or something specific) you are in & by all means, say some names.

I’m in Oklahoma City, Cleveland County. I will try to post a picture of this.

I wish they would make re-decking over 1x6 code. It would be better for home owners and roofers.

Ranch hand, calm down take it easy. I have seen this done before. His roofer said its common practice, not BEST practice. Like I said I have seen this before. I don’t think there’s any reason to slander his name here on the site.

Darman, what’s much more important to me is #1-did he renail the whole deck? and #2-what kind of guarantee did he give you and do you trust him? If he gave you a guarantee and this piece of metal poses a problem somewhere down the road for you, call him and he’ll fix it. Then he’ll learn no to do it again.

Also, what do you guys think is the big risk in doing this? I’m assuming HO is referring to a knot hole, not a broken board.

Ok i just re-read HO’s post he said “pretty good size” that doesn’t sound like a knot hole. That aside, I stand by my last post.

I have seen this and worse!! I have seen guys use rolled rubber on bottom 3’ of roof as a walking surface to get a roof started , so they don’t have to change sheets…
I have also lost bids on a few jobs , cause the other guy told them they did not need to sheet over the old plank deck, and they patched the same way…I lost bids on these jobs on the cost of sheets only, so in fact the H.O. got less ,for less!
If you pay for this type of Hack , lazy ,poor workmanship, then you are short changing yourself…and I would also make sure you tell all your friends about it…buyer beware!!!

Good Advise,this is all you should be doin!! :mrgreen:

i agree with ranch hand.it sounds like you got alot of areas with tin. i wouldnt go for that. they should of replaced the 1x6 or skim coated your roof with 7/16 o.s.b.

[quote=“Ranch Hand Roofing”]Q: Will a piece of valley metal hold a roofing nail?
A: No. That’s what the wood is for. [/quote]

Shangle, I hope you mean that you stand by the ‘re-nail the deck’ parts.

[quote=“Ranch Hand Roofing”]Q: Will a piece of valley metal hold a roofing nail?
A: No. That’s what the wood is for. [/quote]

the self-righteous $#@% on here gets hard to take some times…

is it the best practice…no
is it going to cause a leak…no
like shanglenailer said more importantly did your deck get renailed
do you guys think that your three man crews that are
tearing off and shingling in 30 plus squares are taking time to cut out small holes

Easy answer: Don’t sell a job so cheaply that you have to get a 3 man crew & slave-labor them to the point of a cheap, fast & incorrect fix.

Hell, why not just lay the shingles up there & not put nails in @ all… once the heat hits those tar strips, it’s all over & the shingles will hold, right?

in a perfect world ya… re-sheet the whole deck or cut out every knot hole and replace with 1x6 …but we have all been there when the weather is rolling in and we do the next best thing. putting metal over a small hole no bigger then your fist does not make you a hack

I’m in Oklahoma City, Cleveland County. I will try to post a picture of this.http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/7755/img_1241629028.jpghttp://www.roofing.com/images/topics/7755/img_1241629096.jpg
OK guys…This is the only big place I could find, but it’s pretty big. There could be some smaller ones. Also, if you will recall, I also posted some pics of how the outside looked, a couple of weeks ago. They came and fixed one side of it and I have posted the before and after pics. See what you think. Sorry I am taking up so much space!!http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/7755/img_1241630937.jpg

Did the homeowner want to pay for a redeck? If not, what else is the roofer supposed to do? Is it such a big deal if no nails are going into the tin? What if the tin was put just to cover the small hole? Does that still make you a hack?

Although I would only do a job like this if including a full redeck. A job was recently completed where a guy tore off 2 layers of asphalt but kept the Cedar on because he didnt want to redeck it. Thats a hack.

Anyways, I do agree with Ranch entirely especially the last post about labor. It takes an extra 5 minutes to do it right. When the roof will be there for the next 20 plus years (or should be there), what is 5 minutes really. If you pay right, jobs get done right.

The picture mustve been posted when I was posting my previous post but yes, that is much too big of a space for some metal to be put over.

Not Cool.