Building a carport on side of shed?

I am goint to build a lean to style roof off the side of my shed. It will be about 7ft high at the shed and go out about aft and be about 6ft where it ends. So this roof will not have alot of pitch.

Can I use arthect shingles or would I be better off with metal or couragated or something else ??

The roofs here dont get hardly any snow on them because of the wind.

The roof will end up being 12ft long front to back and 8ft wide.

None of the above.

metal wont work ?? Why ?? What to use ?? Hogest point may be closer to 8 ft then pitch down to 6ft ??

Your gonna have about a 1.5/12 pitch there. Architectural shingles are not recommended for use on such a slight pitch. I also don’t know of any metal roofing panels that are speced to be used on such a slight pitch.

This pitch calculation is based on your original post… sloping from 7’ to 6’ across an 8’ span.

Throw some rolled roofing on it or torch-on.

Hummm so rolled roofing would be ok ? What would the problem with metal be ? Wouldnt I be able to get it in 8ft lengths so it shouldnt leak right ??

or I thought about Ice and Water the whole thing then archect shingle over them ??

if your gonna shingle it put I&W on then use 3-tabs.

really 3 tabs better than archects ?? What would the problem be with them metal ??

Also would I & W and 3 tabs be cheaper then metal ?

Thank you for the help

3-tabs drain water better on low slope archs would pool water in the rows on low and around here 3-tabs and I&W would be cheaper then metal,but personaly i would just use torch on a low slope like your describing.

problem is I can do the 3 tab myself, I assume I couldnt do a torch on.

Thanks again

Also can you buy I and W in small rolls ?? I would only need 40 ft

no

Unless you have equipment for a torch down that will be difficult. Get the self adhering. Sounds like you will only need one square. Get a base sheet, fasten with steel cap nails, and stick cap sheet to it. Put Drip edge around on top of base sheet and hit it with an asphalt primer before you stick cap to it. Sounds like you will need a piece of flashing where it hits the shed too.

You could also see if you could find a piece of scrap EPDM big enough to cover the whole thing. Glue it down.

[quote=“shangle nailer”]Unless you have equipment for a torch down that will be difficult. Get the self adhering. Sounds like you will only need one square. Get a base sheet, fasten with steel cap nails, and stick cap sheet to it. Put Drip edge around on top of base sheet and hit it with an asphalt primer before you stick cap to it. Sounds like you will need a piece of flashing where it hits the shed too.

You could also see if you could find a piece of scrap EPDM big enough to cover the whole thing. Glue it down.[/quote]

Whoa! I don’t know that I would suggest a non-roofer install a peel-n-stick system.

[quote=“Cerberus”]

[quote=“shangle nailer”]Unless you have equipment for a torch down that will be difficult. Get the self adhering. Sounds like you will only need one square. Get a base sheet, fasten with steel cap nails, and stick cap sheet to it. Put Drip edge around on top of base sheet and hit it with an asphalt primer before you stick cap to it. Sounds like you will need a piece of flashing where it hits the shed too.

You could also see if you could find a piece of scrap EPDM big enough to cover the whole thing. Glue it down.[/quote]

Whoa! I don’t know that I would suggest a non-roofer install a peel-n-stick system.[/quote]

Yeah, maybe you’re right. It’s really not that hard though. He’s got no penetrations so it should be a piece of cake. check out Certainteed’s install instructions for Flintlastic, its pretty cut and dry. Or you could just put 3 tabs on it and it will probably be fine. If you do that use HDG nails.

I’d suggest he use a peel-and-stick base and a peel-and-stick mod bit if that is the route he wants to go. Otherwise, I’d do the I&WS and 3-tab shingles for a roof. Truth be known, a corrugated metal panel like he was wanting could work if properly installed. I just wouldn’t go that route myself, because of all the potential for problems.

Tip–If you go with the self-adheared system–
Make sure your total outside measurements are slightly under what you described. Dont use the 12x8.
Go with 11ft 8inches by 7ft 8inches or something close.

That way you will only spend 160 on roofing material instead of 320…

[quote=“roof-lover”]Tip–If you go with the self-adheared system–
Make sure your total outside measurements are slightly under what you described. Dont use the 12x8.
Go with 11ft 8inches by 7ft 8inches or something close.

That way you will only spend 160 on roofing material instead of 320…[/quote]

This is good advice.

thanks for the ideas/help guys ! I will probably do the I and W and 3 tab. Im thinking I can get away with no flashing because the roof will run under and up pretty close to the overhang on the shed.

Next problem is my door opening will be under 6ft :roll:

if you use shingles put them on 3-4 inch exposure.personaly i think metal would be fine,use a pair of tongs to bend the end thats against shed in case water backs up.