Bulging shingles

[quote=“bcdemon”]

I’ll tell my employer that kage from the internet changes sagged sheathing, see what he says…[/quote]

You do that, also tell him only HACKS leave them on…

LOL!! I love you guys. :lol:

lol, I don’t mind going back and forth, I just wish he (kage) would take his attacks on me to a PM instead of derailing threads criticizing me.

For now, I’ll keep tabs on this thread and see what the consensus on sagged sheathing is. :mrgreen:

:badgrin:

In most cases it is not a structural issue, only aesthetic. Its all about what the HO wants to spend.

I cant remember the last time a H/O said to leave it… :?

[quote=“kage”]

I cant remember the last time a H/O said to leave it… :?[/quote]

I can, it was just last week. Another thing too kage, I’m assuming you roof out of Vancouver, where it rains 166 days a year. So 40 yr old sheathing in Van has probably seen it’s fair share of water too. Not the case here in the desert. I pull off more sheets that are damaged by heat than by water.

That and trying to squeeze another $1500 out of an old couple in this town in order to enhance the look of the roof just isn’t going to happen.

[quote=“bcdemon”]

I cant remember the last time a H/O said to leave it… :?

I can, it was just last week. Another thing too kage, I’m assuming you roof out of Vancouver, where it rains 166 days a year. So 40 yr old sheathing in Van has probably seen it’s fair share of water too. Not the case here in the desert. I pull off more sheets that are damaged by heat than by water.

That and trying to squeeze another $1500 out of an old couple in this town in order to enhance the look of the roof just isn’t going to happen.[/quote]

When I worked in Kamloops same thing…thats alrite bc you just keep doing it…roofers like that keep me busy… :badgrin:

3/8" plywood on 24" centers is below minimum code anyway. If the trusses/rafters were on 16" centers you may get away with just replacing bad sheets. If on 24" centers, the whole roof should have been resheeted with 5/8 OSB or 1/2" CDX with clips. Most of the time the 3/8 is so delaminated from excessive heat and lack of ventilation, its just gotta go. In my area of western New York, there were a few builder’s that were known to build entire developments using 3/8 ply on 24" centers. Talk about cheap.

[quote=“tinner666”]Are you sure it’s a problem Jim?
Camera angle makes me think it’s the bulge caused by the closed valley system.
Ehd, the shingles run across the valley from one side about 18" and the opposing shingles go over those for about 18", and are then cut off about 2" from the valley center causing a hump…
Still, it’s worth looking into if you’re concerned.[/quote]

This looks like a Tamko style valley, which is not an approved valley for installing CertainTeed shingles. Its kind of a lazy valley for roofers that dont want to take the time to make the proper cut. The homeowner is right, it looks like hell, and he may not have a warrantied roof if problems arise.

O

[quote=“BuiltRight716”]

[quote=“tinner666”]Are you sure it’s a problem Jim?
Camera angle makes me think it’s the bulge caused by the closed valley system.
Ehd, the shingles run across the valley from one side about 18" and the opposing shingles go over those for about 18", and are then cut off about 2" from the valley center causing a hump…
Still, it’s worth looking into if you’re concerned.[/quote]

This looks like a Tamko style valley, which is not an approved valley for installing CertainTeed shingles. Its kind of a lazy valley for roofers that dont want to take the time to make the proper cut. The homeowner is right, it looks like hell, and he may not have a warrantied roof if problems arise.[/quote]

Certainteed shows it as an alternative method for landmarks in the msa manual. No warranty worries.

[quote=“selfemployedslave”]O

This looks like a Tamko style valley, which is not an approved valley for installing CertainTeed shingles. Its kind of a lazy valley for roofers that dont want to take the time to make the proper cut. The homeowner is right, it looks like hell, and he may not have a warrantied roof if problems arise.

Certainteed shows it as an alternative method for landmarks in the msa manual. No warranty worries.[/quote]

Yep, you gotta wonder if some that post here have ever actually read these manuals.

We read the manuals and we are Certified Installers, Axiom. Guess they are a secondhand option for valleys. They still look like hell, and are vulnerable at the seams in the vertical line. I don’t allow it on our roofs.

We change sagging sheathing…especially 40yr old crap…

sounds like what i said again…double hmm…

Did the temp get hot enough to seal the shingles???

The two problems with valley pictures are,

1. Way to much shingle run on the underside of the cut side of roof.

2. There are spots were two shingle end at the same point under the cut side of roof.

We run the same valley but always run a uniform pattern on the roof that gets covered up and never allow two shingles to end at the same point.

Is it worth ripping apart to make it look more flat? You can be the judge of that. Will it function as is? Yes.

If I had a call back for this issue I would remove a few shingles to make the roof surface lay flat.