Button Caps?

How are most of you guys installing your felt? I been using Hitachi button cap guns for years now and I like them and they make felting roofs in a whole lot faster but they are ridiculously expensive and also impossible to find someone to repair them in my area,not to mention the nails they shoot are sky high…are there any good alternatives that are just as good and maybe a little easier on my bank account? And please dont suggest that I should just hand bang button caps…If you saw my finger tips you would know that I did way too much of this roofing when I was younger and my aim was obviously not too good

we hand bang them.

used to use slammer staplers (still do sometimes) but they break a lot. if you can keep them from falling apart after about 200sq of felting, then its worth it. but nothing more frustrating then ordering staples for a job thats 20 miles from a hardware store, and the last stapler breaking on you 1/2 way thru a roof, and you wished you had a bucked of button caps to hand bang into the deck.

I agree with Maxx and ARC,I prefer to hand bang,IMO nothing is better than hand banging,I can tell if its been banged or not.I have met alot of homeowners who don’t know the difference in banging or slapping.

Although some have had both,banging and slapping.I guess it depends on the homeowner.If they had a choice I am sure it would be banging versus slapping.So many more positives with banging than slapping.I have found if you are banging too hard they get a wee bit upset when you start busting decking.

I think that might make them wish they would have chosen having it slapped.It could depend on the roofer too.Experienced roofers are probably more into banging than the inexperienced ones who are not good at banging and settle with slapping it.

Roofmaster417 …Your last post was just too funny to read, banging…slapping! I could no t help but chuckle a bit…

In our area…we use tack hammers for just about every felt/underlayment application. No worries, every worker has one…one breaks then the laborer gives his up. Anyways I always have two spare in my truck.

Metal applicators like the hand bang nails as an errant tacker staple may show through the metal.
I have only seen plasitcaps used on some commercial roofs, but not all. The Bostich gun uses staples vs nails of the Hitachii. The Bostich is more durable and superior…easy to load**

Just eg or copper nails for me.

[quote=“Roofer Gee”]Roofmaster417 …Your last post was just too funny to read, banging…slapping! I could no t help but chuckle a bit…

In our area…we use tack hammers for just about every felt/underlayment application. No worries, every worker has one…one breaks then the laborer gives his up. Anyways I always have two spare in my truck.

Metal applicators like the hand bang nails as an errant tacker staple may show through the metal.
I have only seen plasitcaps used on some commercial roofs, but not all. The Bostich gun uses staples vs nails of the Hitachii. The Bostich is more durable and superior…easy to load**[/quote]

Were the same.

I slap and i thought i was experienced… :? .

with the hitachi button cap gun, i can have a 30 square house felted in less than 15 mins…are the slappers you guys are referring to also called stingers?

[quote=“kage”]

I slap and i thought i was experienced… :? .[/quote]

Man I was no way talking about felt application. :twisted:

Staples and a hammer tacker, that’s all that gets used here.
There isn’t anyone in town who will stock Stinger caps, or any companies that use them. Mind you a few install synthetic underlays…

Things that make you go HMMMM!!!

Plastic button caps, hand-nailed only. For metal roofs its hot-dipped galvanized nails with tin caps, hand-nailed only. For copper roofs its copper nails, hand-nailed only.

The only time we use guns around a roof is for decking installation.

Roofmaster417…I read your post again…and still laughing…LOL

“I have found if you are banging too hard they get a wee bit upset when you start busting decking.”

After reading that again …I busted a gut.

Nice humor though…I sure you weren’t talking about felt application either…

I’ve used those stinger staplers, they work alright until they break.
And break they will, don’t waste your money on them.

I will often staple. I always have a bucket of hand drive caps in the truck though.

Always by hand… Always

[quote=“Roofmaster417”]

I slap and i thought i was experienced… :? .

Man I was no way talking about felt application. :twisted:[/quote]

HaHa ok ya got me,…I prefer BANGIN then…damn…that flew right over… :lol:

I have had hitachi, stinger staplers (air stapler & the slapper ) but the best one i have found is a crossfire stapler the caps & staples come in same box they cost $39.99 there is 7/8 " and 1 1/4 " the gun holds up better than the stinger and the staples are a larger gauge also.
You should be able to order the gun from Abc Supply.

Have the Hitachi and the Bostitch pneumatics. The Hitachi with the nails and caps is temperamental. I have much better luck with the Bostitch cap stapler and the caps aren’t so thin they rip right off. Not sure whats the better price between the two methods. I only cap synthetics. If we use felt I’ll put that on with a pneumatic dou-fast stapler. Very fast. I’m not sure why you guys cap nail your felt anyway as most claim to never leave a felted roof overnight . :slight_smile:

SENCO house wrap stapler. $17.99 box does 20 sq and PROVEN to hold better than caps on golfcorse winds. (the crown is wide and thick.) sure you have to replace the feeder spring once and a while. (I have been known to use butten caps STINGER STYLE) I sold my Hitachi cap nailer after a couple jobs. It would feed the caps with no staples.

because a bucket of button cap nails, and a magnetic hammer NEVER fail. Staplers fail. all of them are junk IMO.