Chimney in valley,what would you do?

What I would have dne is built the cricket out further, I+W the whole thing, use an aluminum W valley, shingle the cricket so that I can use step flashing along the chimney then figure out a way to counter flash the whole thing. I have the idea in my head but maybe I cant explain the way I think.

What are your plans on shingling it.

[quote=“BAMBAMM5144”]What I would have dne is built the cricket out further, I+W the whole thing, use an aluminum W valley, shingle the cricket so that I can use step flashing along the chimney then figure out a way to counter flash the whole thing. I have the idea in my head but maybe I cant explain the way I think.

What are your plans on shingling it.[/quote]

No Bam, you explained it well, and that is exactly what I would do. You can also do it with a soldered copper pan. This may be expensive though.

get rid of it with a BFH and start over.

just wondering this is job i did i while back,the previous roofer put this devirter in ,its soldered or welded.I put a top coat on it,i&w under the metal and on top.I run into this alot in my area .I guess because of dumba$$ carpenters doing additions (im guessing)

Let’s see if the upload worked???

http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/8746/img_1259106506.jpg

Got it this time. Only one I ever took a pic of. Had a step in it. R. side was lower. No solder. Just did a standing seam on the corner.

What’s with the white metal on the lower sides of your chimney? Trying to flash before the shingles get there?

http://www.roofingcontractorreview.com/gallery/d/640-1/chimney_cricket.jpg

Dennis, that right there… is ballin.

Mad props sir.

Nice work Dennis.

If I had asked this question of an old boss years ago, the answer i would have gotten was…
“Smoke a joint, and think like a raindrop!”

Dennis and tinner…nicely done…

johne5

[quote=“johne5”]If I had asked this question of an old boss years ago, the answer i would have gotten was…
“Smoke a joint, and think like a raindrop!”

[/quote]

When did ya work for me? lol j/k

i like the first one.

gweedo.

You could always put torch on over the entire area. I had a similar issue and that was our solution.

That pic Denis put up is gorgeous (if you can say that about roofing), but pretty pricey metal work for something you can barely see.

[quote=“bcdemon”]You could always put torch on over the entire area. I had a similar issue and that was our solution.

That pic Denis put up is gorgeous (if you can say that about roofing), but pretty pricey metal work for something you can barely see.[/quote]

Ideally, you want a product that will last as long as the rest of the roof. That may be overkill on a comp roof but it’s a good match with slate

The copper will last as long as the house it would be the correct material,why would you want to put on anything less in that situtation its what i would recommend for a long term solution. Torch down unless done in a two ply application woudnt last in the south to make it a worthwhile choice.I was just recently in Langley and Vancouver and noticed a lot of new homes being built with built in gutter systems in that area.I presume thier using some type of modified in those areas, which will fail and theres going to be alot of expensive repairs in 10 to 15 years depending what thier putting in those gutters.Traditionally you would have installed copper in those gutters for a long term solution.

Its all about $'s though…

Yea i just cant for the life of me figure out whats going on in the architects brain,why build like that its destined to fail.

cuz in pictures it always works… :roll:

last night i printed dennis picture, blew it up & hung it on the wall in my shop this morning & told my guys thats what i expect. dennis, thats just how i would do it to with the wash & all. great job, its too bad your doing work like that in ohio. your worth way more than what you earn out there! i love it out there but the pay cut would kill me. my inlaws live in new phili & my brother inlaw has to travel to canton everyday to make a lousy $14 hr., hes a tin knocker too. crazy times.