Choosing between 2 roofing companies

The prices are about the same. One is like $200 more.

They both are offering Certainteed (but also offer GAF) 30 year shingles w/30 year labor and material warranty.

They both have good ratings, reviews, referrals.
I have driven to look at both their work and also spoke to customers.

The difference is this.

One guy offered me the low bid right off. He has been in the biz for awhile but has only started his own biz in 2004. His work is also is nicer areas.

The other guy has been around since 1991, is $200 more after some negotiating. The kicker is he started at one price, then said would match my low bid, wrote up the estimate at my house then called back in 5 mins after leaving my house and said the profit margin wouldn’t allow him to honor that offer he just made and he had to raise it by 200 to make any . So who would you pick?

Two quotes that are only a mere $ 200.00 dollars apart cannot even be considered as as a high bidder and a low bidder.

The solution is simple choose the one who left you with the greatest feeling of trustworthiness.

By “labor warranty” do you mean" workmanship warranty’. I have never heard of anyone giving a 30 year labor/workmanship warranty.

A 30yr warranty thats a first? Even the Sure Start Plus(Certainteed)4 star covers workmanship for 20 years max on a 30yr.Low bids by definition would exceed $200.Your choice is now based on workmanship,reputation BBB rating etc.I think it is a great situation for you to be in.,reasoning for my statement is you have more to consider that price alone.A $200 difference is a competative bid,a roofers dream.This is up to you.,so do some homework
and make your choice since more of us consider a low bid by $1000 or more…,Good Luck

With only $200 difference, unless every other deciding factor is absolutely equal, price isn’t a factor. Being in business for 30 years vs 6 years isn’t a factor either IMHO. I would think you’d go with whichever one made you feel most comfortable, sounds like either would be a decent choice.

Personally with what you have said the first bid. He was up front and gave his bid and did not play number games. The second guy did a sticker shock drop close. He did not know how to finish the close. If he said he could not offer honor the price since he would not make any money he either cannot measure a roof or he does not know his numbers. This is very important when bidding a job. When i was bidding i knew to the penny what the job would cost so i had room to move when needed. Now this is a 2 sided opinion so everyone knows. It’s both sides.
The first bid was what it was nothing more nothing less from what I have been reading. The 30 year labor warranty I do not buy into since I have never In my days have heard of such a thing unless it was a lie. Now CertainTeed’s full warranty is for a 30 year shingle 5 star is 15 years period. And GAF is 20 years. So everything included with whoever said that is coffee house bullsh#$.
Like everyone else said look for the small things, ask for references, talk to the homes owners that had roofs installed by them. And if they had you a sheet that is with 5 addresses that’s a joke period. Look for at least 100 so you can pick, color that matches your home style, BBB ratings, ask for the supply house that he buys from, the reason I say this is you will see right there bottom line where he is with his business right there, regardless of how good his work is. I know some are not going to like that but think of it this way. Its like paying your own bills if they are all messed up you are too. That’s when items that are needing or were on the contract to be replaced go and get removed. I am not saying that is every case. But if he is on a cash basis with the supply house there is a reason for that, for me that’s a problem.

The second guy was playing number game, all contractors do this. Just some know how to and some do not. I would eliminate him all together. Have a total of 3 or 4 estimates any more than that your confused.
Now when numbers come up (PRICE) that’s all it is perceived value, I know a lot of contractors here on this board and others that are on the up and up and do a great job, now if the prices go from let’s say 5000 to 5800. Look at what you get for the difference in the money, if there is not don’t spend it unless they are good at what they do. 800 dollars 1 year 2.20 a day is that worth your biggest investment?
You have to make an educated decision, did they educate you? Did you learn anything? Is there any value on extra money that is being charged that can be justified?
I spoke with a woman this evening that had a roof put on, I looked at the pictures and well it needs to be completely redone, the job was beyond done wrong. Not a manufacturer’s warranty. With the statistics at around 70% of roofs being done incorrectly voiding warranty’s that’s where all the class action suits come from. It’s the guys that do not know how to do the job.
Here is an easy way for you to make an educated decision (also a close for those who don’t know it):
Everyone has heard of Ben Franklin right? Yes we all have. Did you know that his education level was believed to be in the 3 or 4th grade level did you know that? Well he was the first man made millionaire on US soil and how he did that was by making a pro’s and con’s list. When he made that decision it was an educated one so with that in mind with it being your biggest investment don’t you think you owe your family and what you have worked for your entire life to be done right?

Now with that out of the way, Get the town, city or state building code and well if there are none available at your town hall well IBC is one that must be followed and many don’t. Here is directly from GAF and they put it up and nice. Here is that site address: gaf.com/Document-Library/Doc … 3&GridLoc=

Now more into that filling this list (the roofer has to) eliminates all the bad work guys and tells you everything. This is how you prequalify them: nrca.net/consumer/resqual.pdf
With that I hope I have helped and make an educated decision on the installer because its your biggest investment and protects everything you have worked for. Think about it in that way and you will make the right decision with all said above. If you have any questions feel free email me and I can help you get through the process. Have a great day!

Now to clarify the guy who changed his price was at 4.2k to start then came to my house & said he would match another guy at 3.6k then called back after leaving my house and said he could only go as low as 3.8k. Really, the price difference of 3.6k and 3.8k is nothing --especially since w/tax credits it works out to be about the same. I’m just thinking why would you make an offer then change it for $200 difference? Is that $200 worth your reputation? Don’t you know what your profit margin is before you offer something like that so you don’t need to change it last minute? On the other hand, being a credit analyst by trade and having the fear put into me about dealing w/new businesses esp contractors w/their high failure rates, I usually try to stick w/folks in biz at least 10 years. I feel confident w/his roofing skills… I’m just wondering what his credit report looks like.

So you think a guy changing his mind and calling you back within an hour or two risks his reputation? I’m not sure how either one of them can make a profit on a $3,800 job to begin with unless they only have a 4 person crew.

Could not agree more. He wanted to try and match the lower price to get the job. He thought about it again on the drive home and came to realize he could just as easily loose money from the comfort of his couch. He called you quickly to inform you so you could keep all your options open. Sounds like a highly respectable guy to me.

Go w/ the 1st guy. Save yourself $200. Take the warranty w/ a grain of salt and don’t waste your time w/ the BBB.

That would not be a “bid”, but a donation.

well i feel good for the second guy callin u back and tellin u he cant do it that cheap. that keeps him from gettin into a job and havin to cut more corners
than usuall. all of us here can tell u how hard it is to make a roofing company profitable rite now, we do roofs today cheaper than we did 10 years ago.
so i like the second guy bein honest to himself.

gweedo.

And if they had you a sheet that is with 5 addresses that’s a joke period. Look for at least 100 so you can pick, color that matches your home style, BBB ratings, ask for the supply house that he buys from, the reason I say this is you will see right there bottom line where he is with his business right there, regardless of how good his work is. I know some are not going to like that but think of it this way. Its like paying your own bills if they are all messed up you are too. That’s when items that are needing or were on the contract to be replaced go and get removed. I am not saying that is every case. But if he is on a cash basis with the supply house there is a reason for that, for me that’s a problem.

No they are not reasonable questions to ask in my opinion. I would have also rescinded my bid. No offense meant.

No offense taken, I felt bad about it afterward. I was just taking the advice of gtp1003.

Why the BBB? I could join today and be a member in good standing

I think calling the supplier is a good idea.

When you hire an employee it is perfectly reasonable to do a background and credit check. This is not very different.

What if the supplier only reccomends who owes them the most money in hopes of getting paid back some?

I mostly agree with gweedo and Authentic Dad.
and say that a 200 dollar difference for a roof replacement is really the exact same price.
And say that it is The bottem of the barrel low price.
Although both roofing companies knew what they were doing.

And further say that any bids further considered should be higher than their prices, not lower.
Pick who you think will do the better job.

Ignore “warrentys” and choose who you thought was more honest.
Great salesmanship does not egual a great roof.

A good conractor would not be afraid to answer your questions and have nothing to hide. When I get a person asking so many questions that seem odd and for that amount of money. Red flags go up in my head and I ask myself is this project going to be a headache, not from the roofwork but from the owner.At that point I rescind or bite the bullet.

I agree, Idiot Savant. The BBB is a farce and should have NO bearing on any consumer’s decision. Unfortunately the BBB has burrowed into the market place like a chigger and consumers believe their line of BS.