Code question?

Who determines which code option you can use in regards to insurance related property restoration? In St. Louis County the 2009 IRC allows for “valley lining of one ply of smooth roll roofing complying with ASTM D 6380, or two plys of smooth roll roofing complying with ASTM D 226 Type I, ASTM D 4869 Type I or ASTM D 6757 and at least 36 inches wide (914 mm) or valley lining as described in Item 1 or 2 above shall be permitted. Self-adhering polymer modified bitumen underlayment complying with ASTM D 1970 shall be permitted in lieu of the lining material.” Building commissioners have told me that although the code says roll roofing it is the ASTM that determines application. Basically that since felt does meet these ASTM criteria that it is code compliant. Who in their right mind would put felt in the valleys and not ice and water shield? Anyway, if you can install felt, roll roofing, or ice and water shield to meet code requirements who gets to determine which is used and still be covered by the replacement cost policy? Obviously the homeowner and contractor would want the iws and the insurance just the felt. If the claim’s scope of work is based off of what can be approved with the carrier, how do i get this argued in? I called DOI and they said there was no law that regulated it so they couldn’t help.

I did bring up section 102.1 where it states "Where there is a conflict between a general requirement and a specific requirement, the specific requirement shall be applicable. Where, in any specific case, different sections of this code specify different materials, methods of construction or other requirements, the most restrictive shall govern.

My interpretation of that is that the ASTM standards are general measures and obviously the least restrictive. Building comissioners seem to think that all three of the options are specific and thus 102.1 cannot be used in the determination.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You are stuck following the ICC as adopted in your market. There are more roofs using 2 ply of felt (usually 30#) or 1 layer of mineral surface than I&W products. If you weave your valley its no big thing.

My question more falls under who gets to decide than that specific instance for closed valleys. If the insurance policy is a contract of adhesion and the policy does not specifically address which is to be used doesn’t that allow the homeowner to decide what is to be used and consequently what the RCV should cover?