Concerns About New Roof

My roof was installed in March, 2022. I was told that the wavy appearance would improve over time, but several large areas of the roof are still wavy with the shingles curved, and some markedly warped. I feel that the roofer should do something to correct the problem, but I don’t know anything about roofing. I would appreciate hearing the opinion of some people who know. I am only able to attach one photo, unfortunately.

There appears to be some poor flashing details causing and shingles butted too tight. More pics would help.

Thanks very much for commenting! I am seeing wavy / curved shingles in all areas of the roof, although they’re not all as bad as in the first photo. I think the roof looks awful, but maybe I’m just focusing too much on the flaws? It’s good to know the opinion of someone more knowledgeable than me. I will try to post more photos in my replies. I have asked the roofer to come back and have a look. He says he will, but he doesn’t show up. I was surprised that he didn’t replace the old flashing, especially the rusty old stuff around the chimney!

It looks to me like they added a second layer. Is that the case?

The roofers said they would remove the old shingles. Am I correct that a single layer of new shingles shouldn’t look like this?

The roof sheathing on older structures is often quite uneven, if not downright concerning. Buildings settle and trusses become uneven. Looking at laminate shingles from this angle seldom looks great even at the best of times.

Ask the contractor to audit the entire installation with you while you are accompanied by someone who has some roofing knowledge. Some things you are seeing may be consequential while others may indeed require attention. From your current stance, you are understandably spooked and possibly prone to finding fault where none may exist. Be methodical in your assessment otherwise you’ll drive yourself crazy and lessen the chance of getting satisfaction.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for your suggestions! It’s a tough situation because I don’t know anybody knowledgeable about roofing, and I haven’t been able to convince the contractor to come to the house to look at the roof again. I had hoped that my photos would provide enough information for a member of this forum to assess whether or not my concerns are valid.
I appreciate your response, though. Thanks!

If there is a local roofing association in your area, contact them. They may recommend an inspector to come for à visit to act as an arbitrator in the event you can arrange a meeting. They also might help you identify potential problem areas which need attention. You may need to shoulder a small cost for a piece of mind.

Did you have a written contact? Was this roofer licensed and insured?