Contractor made mistake on underlayment

Never done this (posted to discussion board) before but need some guidance. Had a new roof installed (in coastal southern California - no snow) (GAF Timberline High Definition shingles) and the contract specified, For low slop sections, “torch apply granulated modified membrane with 3” side and 6" end laps to the [2] field areas. . ." For the more normally pitched areas, “Install a double lap layer of “GAF” Tiger Paw synthetic underlayment to the roofing surface using large head galvanized roofing nails to ensure proper placement.”

It was discovered during the roofing process that only a single layer of underlayment was installed on three sides (fields?) of the garage roof and part (one field?) of the roof over the house. Contractor acknowledged mistake, apologized and asked what he needed to do to make it right. Said he’d rip off and redo the garage areas if I wanted (but he’d rather not) and offered to kick back some $ for the error. Didn’t offer to redo the area over the house that only has single layer.

Also, when I arrived on day three, I was told that they weren’t installing the proposed granulated modified membrane, but were using a better product - don’t know what it was or how many layers were put down, but it was applied using a torch method. Will ask today.

The signed proposal/contract includes a “GAF” System Plus Warranty.

My concerns are, (1) the System Plus Warranty doesn’t cover workmanship defects which it seems is exactly what I have. The manufacturer offers a Golden Pledge Warranty that does cover Workmanship Coverage for 25 years. I’m thinking this is what I should ask for to cover myself (in order to make things right), and (2) I puzzled why the foreman unilaterally changed the product he applied to the low-sloped section of my roof, and I honestly don’t know if he did me a favor or not.

Lastly, the job will be done later today. I still owe 50% of job price. I think the contractor and I need an additional day or two to sort all this out. Should I hold back the entire 50% until we reach an agreement, or pay some portion and hold back a smaller percentage? Just want to protect my investment and I’m feeling like an amatuer in over her head. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thx!

Hard to discern exactly what’s going on from your post. I will say this, as much as I dislike GAF they will send out an inspector to look your roof over if you opt for the Golden Pledge warranty. They are semi-serious about it and will flag any issues they deem worthy for the contractor to come back and fix.

A good contractor will be happy to go over the full scope of your job with you, show you progress pictures, justify completely any material changes, extras, whatever. Ask for a meeting and don’t leave that meeting until you fully understand what, where, when and why. We do it all the time.

If the steep slop areas only have one layer it probably is good. The low slope areas are the major concern. Find out what was installed, brand name, and just where they installed it. If it is a modified bitumen, torch down, you may be ok. The major concern is whether all of the material used was made by GAF. If not, it is unlikely that they will honor a total system warranty.

Fortunately the main roof covering is what protects your home from the elements. In my opinion these fancy underlayments are simply way over rated. I also find it humorous when you say GAF system plus warranty doesn’t cover workmanship defects. ( 99% of all leaks are caused by sub-par workmanship )

I would not rely too heavily on any warranty from GAF or any other manufacturer. I would ask the Roofing Contractor to double my workmanship warranty ( the one from the roofing company itself ) in writing for full payment or add some amount of years to it for a reduced payment. Or something of this sort.

Also, I would not release a cent until an agreement is reached and you have it in your hands, in writing.

I’d be a bit concered only cause you don’t know what they installed on the low slop area. Honestly I wouldn’t about the underlayment thing. Like chuck said its the shingles that are important to keep water out and if they leak it will still leak through 1 or 2 or 3 or watever layers of underlay. I supose it would be fair to reduce the cost that the 2nd layer would have costed him to install (probably less than $100).