Contractor side of the Insurance Claim Process?

I have been doing sales (door knocking) for a few months now. My question is though what exactly is the insurance claim process on the contractor side. It seems we salesmen just inspect and get the roofs approved with the adjuster. What about the paperwork? Do the contractor have to make a proposal, estimate, completion letter or call?

So pretty much what is the process of the contractor not just me the salesman? Also, I get paid 25% of profit, is that good?

If you are sharing 25% of the net profit, (profit after all sub-contractors & suppliers are paid) you can be required to act as a project manager, so-to-speak.

The trail of the initial (storm, flood, etc.) damage inspection to collecting the final (insurance funded) payment is a road with many side trails…But, if you get a handle on the process, a customary split is 50/50 of net profit.

For the most part, the insurance claims process really has nothing to do with the roofing contractor and can most often be completed without our help. The only thing really required of the roofing contractor from the insurance claims standpoint, may be to complete a Certificate of Completion and/or W9 for the Insurance or Mortgage Company.

That being said, the involvement of the roofing contractor in the claims process beyond the above mentioned is purely up to them and the level of service they wish to provide. For example, a contractor is not required to be at the adjuster appointment, but many do so as a service to the homeowner to ensure they receive a fair assessment.

Here are some additional services one can provide for the homeowner in dealing with the insurance company:

• At the homeowner’s request, schedule the Adjuster Appt.
  • Meet the Adjuster to inspect the home.
  • Review the Adjuster Report/Estimate with the homeowner and educate them on interpreting it (ACV, RCV, etc.)
  • Compare the Adjuster Report with your own estimate to make sure the adjusters measurements and quantities of materials are accurate, thus making sure the homeowner receives all owed proceeds.
  • Educate the Adjuster on Local Building Codes - Adjusters travel all over the U.S. servicing claims and each state can have different codes.
  • Submit the Final Invoice to the Insurance Company.
  • And more…

*As you continue to learn, you’ll find more ways to get involved if you choose. However, again further involvement beyond what is necessary puts additional responsibility on you and is a service you provide to educate, guide and assist your clients in navigating the insurance claims process.

Cheers.