Contractor wants additional $7500 one year later

I contacted a roofer for an estimate. The roofer had me go through a public adjuster that they recommended. The public adjuster and my insurance company came to a settlement of $22,000 for the roof in December 2020. I owed $2000 in a deductible and the insurance company paid $20,000. The roof was put on my house in March 2021. On the day the roof was being installed, the contractor said that they were going to have the public adjuster go back to the insurance company to see if they could get more money, since the roofing costs had increased in the three months since the settlement. They said to let them know if I heard from the public adjuster or the insurance company in the meantime. I heard nothing. Fast forward to March 2022, and I suddenly receive a bill for $7500 from the contractor for more money. I knew nothing about this for a year. I never signed anything saying I would pay an additional $7500. What do I do? $7500 is over the amount I can go to small claims court for. I don’t want a lien put on my home. The contractor can’t get a hold of the public adjuster and says I owe them the money they think they deserve now. They say I signed a contract stating I may owe for overages, even though they said nothing about owing any more money to them for one year. They stated to me twice that I only owed the deductible.

Sounds a bit silly to me. They are fishing to see if you’ll bite. Don’t let them on the roof or on your property as they may suggest work was not completed and the original contract is still in force. If you paid and there had been no lien filed against the original contract, they can stuff it.

2 Likes

Fishing? Sounds like fraud to me. Call the state atty gen or county prosecutor and see what the procedure is. If he’s doing it to you, I’d guess he’s been successful with it in the past
+

2 Likes

I have an idea … Better call Saul!!

Call teesla! With pretty nails, the contractor will never roof again

1 Like

So your contractor is right in the sense that if there are additional $ spent throughout the project that weren’t covered in the initial claim then they would have to provide documentation that highlights all line items of additional costs along with O&P to the insurance company. The insurance company is obligated to pay this to the contractor not the home owner. You have done all you need to do which is pay the deductible. I would contact your director of insurance with your state to notify them that your insurance company is not cooperating with your contractor on settling a debt that you have now found yourself in.

I would also suggest not letting that contractor back on your property because they have no right to include you in the middle of this. The only thing they needed from you was you to reach out to the insurance company to request they work with the contractor to settle the debt. If the insurance company is ignoring that request then I would tell them you are going to be filing a “BAD FAITH” practice compliant with the department of insurance and that should get their attention enough to cooperate with the contractor.

Do no pay anyone anything! You have already paid what you owe and that starts and ends with the deductible. This is a dispute between your contractor and the insurance company.

A mechanics lien must be filed within 180 days of the last time a person was on site doing work. Do not them on your roof, make sure they know they are not allowed on your roof and document it, and tell them to deal with insurance.

They are way past the time limit for a lien so you have nothing to worry about.