Copper Bay Windows Roof quote

The insurance adjuster approved 2 copper bay roofs on a house I’m working on, but they want a detailed itemized estimate with the amounts. I normally don’t list individual amounts on my quotes, I just list the total at the bottom, so this is different for me.

What would you all list for a quote like this? Just material costs $, labor cost $, and profit $ with the total at the bottom?

I have a tech/craftsman on my team that’s gonna do all the work, so we are making them to fit, not purchasing pre-made.

I feel weary about listing profit and them arguing it.

Thank you for your help!!

(Picture attached is of the copper Bay roof that’s going to be replaced)

Screenshot_20210921-204113_Messenger|690x387

I would ignore their request and bill as normal. We don’t do a lot of insurance work but it has always worked for us. We NEVER show line items on our proposals but we also don’t really work storms. We bill it out and the adjuster finds a way to make it fit.

1 Like

Your tech/craftsman can write you an invoice. Add R/R and P/O and you’re done.

1 Like

That’s what I usually do but this lady is insistent :roll_eyes:

Removal and reinstall, ok :+1:

What percentage profit and overhead would you list for something like this?

37.5% to 42.5% and bury the rest in man hours for custom work. She wants details because it helps her justify
the payout for an obscure expense she’s not familiar with. Define the task over several line items, each priced individually, and she’ll feel you added value by making her job easier. You’ll likely get paid with less dispute and be on her favorite contractor list.

Or…

You can tell her to piss off.

1 Like

That’s an open ticket, custom work always is. Price something comparable retail and add to that. You’ve got a pattern to work from, so he won’t have to sleep at a Holiday Inn before fabricating. Lump it in with the total and P/O is 20%

1 Like

Looks like about 9ft X 36 60degree. I had one priced close to that size, about 6 months ago. It was a little larger, with lacquer and patina. 24g. Material and the build, was right at $6k. This didn’t include the install. My customer went for painting the bay over new copper. I bet they charge another $1500 to $2000 just to install it on an easy, one story. Good luck with that.

1 Like

Most of what we do is insurance work. Something similar to this would work. This is all we use. Obviously switch it to proper materials. Add O&P if you want at 10% each however insurance doesn’t typically pay unless you are a GC doing more than 3 trades. All we put is the total price & # of Squares of the roof. We do not price each line item.

Shingles | 30 Year | Owens Corning | Oakridge AR | Shasta White
*Roof Replacement as per insurance scope of repairs

• Tear Off 1 Layer of existing roofing shingles and felt
  • Replace any rotten wood at $75 per sheet
  • Install 1 Layer of new synthetic felt underlayment nailed to deck using approved fasteners.
  • Replace all Pipe Boots, Roof Vents and Re-flash as needed.
  • Install Ridge Cap on Hips & Ridges
  • Remove & Replace 1" Drip Edge Painted IF NEEDED
  • Tear off & haul away debris with onsite dumpster
  • Full & Thorough Cleanup
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty on materials from manufacturer
  • Price does not reflect any supplements or Permit fee
1 Like

Thank you for your input, I know I can always count on you guys!

So I tried doing what this lady wanted me to do, listing material expenses, labor expenses, and overhead and profit and she turned around and told they do not pay overhead and profit for jobs like this. Hello are we not supposed to make money? Or was I supposed to work it in the expenses and basically lie about it??? I’m at a loss. Usually other adjusters accept out estimates when they ask for a more detailed estimate.

If you are not making money with what you quoted, simply say no to the project. It really is that simple.

If you think about it, it is a problem you are choosing to own. Tell the client the insurance company is falling short and if they want it done, they may need to fund the difference or arrange additional funding from the insurance company. If not, walk away with your head held high.

Hard to do but it shows you are serious and have done all you can. Their policy is not your problem unless you make it so.