Dibiten vs. GAF Modified Bitimen Material

so thats how the site works.

there is certianly more than one way to skin a cat.

gweedo.

i just did maintainance on my first sarnafil roof today.its pvc. its installed on a 34 story high rise.it was installed in 1981.its fine.thermoplastics rule!!! not as much as 5 ply pitch though

larry,
i personally would use the gaf over the dibitin because its a more durable modified.are you going to be installing this system???

When it comes to PVCs, Sarnafil is without a doubt the best.

I think in most cases EPDM is a great roof. you have to use the seam tape"not splice adhesive". PVC is also a great choice but more money.
Modified Bitumen is considerd in these parts a low budget roof wile BUR is still around but rare, even in the Boston and Providence areas. most roofing companies have roofers trained in single ply and there is no turning back to the dinasaur era.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com

Jim, funny how areas differ…

EPDM is considered the cheapo roof around here. I still like a nice three ply with an APP granulated cap.

I didnt think thermos from that era had plasticizers to go that long, roofboss. Good deal, though.

For those who don’t think that Aaron and I can agree upon anything, here is an example of something we do agree upon.

1. EPDM is considered the “cheapo” roof not only regionally, but nationally. There used to be two national companys that would put on EPDM at $2 a square foot probably 10 years ago. I don’t know what their price is now, and don’t care, but they would slap an EPDM roof on anything.

2. An asphalt BUR with an APP modified bitumen cap sheet is definitely the way to go in roofing nowadays. And yes roofboss, CTP is a great roof also, but is not for all US climates like the BUR with a mod bit cap.

I’ll also say again that Sarnafil is king of the PVCs, and that TPOs are coming on strong. Coatings like TopCoat, HydroStop, and others, still have a ways to go yet. In the future I can see coatings performing well, but science has not perfected them yet and I in good conscience can’t specify them. Once again Aaron, I’ve not seen or worked with the polyureas, so I can’t comment on them from experience. Get back to me in 20 years and we’ll discuss their performance then! :mrgreen:

Why wait another 20 years, cerb? They have been in successful service since 1984.

Like I said, if youre ever in Chicagoland, give me a call, I will show you some stuff I have been doing.

Will be in Indiana tomorrow.

Besides, it is not a coating. It is an instant set membrane system, stonger than any TPO, PVC, EPDM, mod bit on the market mil for mil. (<—blatant plug :smiley: )

OHH boyyy. seriously Arron I have started doing some Topoat and for certain situations I think its great. there Patina Green colour looks just like weatherd copper. Its a good faily inexpensive way to get a lot more life out of an old metal roof. I wold wager a bet that sooner or later single ply will take over your market like it has the northeast.
roof conultants spoof consultants

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com

disclaimer:
roofing advise free of charge for a limited time only.

RooferJ, Aaron isn’t the roof consultant, I am. And I can understand how you may not like roof consultants, from my experience there are a lot of roofers that don’t like the fact they can’t take short-cuts when a consultant is on the job. Of course, there are some roofers who do good work and just don’t like someone looking over their shoulder, but most high end roofers I work with appreciate the fact we’re on site since it protects them and I can get things changed for them when needed. FWIW, I won’t try and guess what type of roofer you are or what category you fall into.

again i have to let it be known that i am all for perfecting theese new age roofing materials and applications.
we are not giong to be spreadin around black tar forever.
we will eventually move on to other materials.

gweedo.

RooferJ,

Single plies are all over the market here. A ton of it on LARGE roofs. I do not do large roofs. Roofboss, on the other hand, only bids 500 squares or larger, and does a ton of it.

Polyureas are NOTHING like topcoat…except that they are fluid applied, but other than that, we blow acrylics off the map…acrylics do not even come close…not even in the same category. Single plies cannot compete in the metal roofing market here, with me doing polyureas, and all.

If youre ever in Chicagoland, give me a call, and I will show you some stuff I have been doing. :wink:

Just joking on the consultants comment. were all roof consultants you know. Thanks Aaron havent bee to Chicago in a long while but may take you up on that offer, never stop learning new things.

RooferJim

most consultants dont have the luxury of experiencing "shortcuts"as most have not roofed a day in there lives.fir every spec there is a shorter simpler way to do it more economically both for the roofing contractor and the customer.soon i will provide photos of one of chi towns largest consulting firms ideas for ponding water.then i will show my solution to the problem @ 1/3 the cost.no offense to you consultants out ther but you should be required to roof for 10 yrs before telling someone who has 32 yrs that you can solve a ponding water problem on a dead level deck with 1/2 " densdek.can you guess what it did to the ponds???

OOOH! OOH OOH, Mr. Kotter, I know what happened…the ponds remained in place, since all you did was elevate them. Then you kicked the consultant’s arse, made a happy customer, and collected a check?

Luckily, I was a roofer for over 10 years, and have been consulting for around 15 years. However, I agree with your point. I too do not like book-learned consultants. As I’ve told people before, would you rather a mechanic rebuild your carburator, or have someone who read how to do it tell the mechanic how to rebuild your carb? Bottomline, I think all consultants should have a solid background in roofing, not roofing sales as so many do. Some of the worst consultants I’ve ever met used to be Tremco salesmen. FWIW, and for those in the Ohio area, I learned how to roof working for a company called Marion & Green which was the sister company to G&M roofing in Ohio (G&M roofed the Honda plant in Ohio, while Marion & Green roofed the Nissan plant in Tennessee).

Oh yeah? Well I repair, re-roof, maintain all the roofing on the plant that makes crankshafts and sprockets for Harley Davidson. Harleys are way cooler than Hondas LMAO J/K

You got me there; Harleys are way cooler than Hondas. :mrgreen:

i roof all the federal reserve banks.they got all the $$$$$