Discontinued 20 year shingles

Ok, so I was double checking today and realized that both GAF and OC have discontinued production of 20 year shingles. For those of us doing insurance work that is something we need to start addressing on our estimates. According to policies the insurers owe for like kind and quality. If the product is no longer being made they would then owe for the closest possible replacement which is the 25 year. In Texas I know that GAF and OC are the majority so do you think we can sway the adjusters in this direction simply by adding this info into our estimates and giving them reference to our suppliers if they need comfirmation?

1 Like

[quote=“3BMRoofer”]Ok, so I was double checking today and realized that both GAF and OC have discontinued production of 20 year shingles. For those of us doing insurance work that is something we need to start addressing on our estimates. According to policies the insurers owe for like kind and quality. If the product is no longer being made they would then owe for the closest possible replacement which is the 25 year. In Texas I know that GAF and OC are the majority so do you think we can sway the adjusters in this direction simply by adding this info into our estimates and giving them reference to our suppliers if they need comfirmation?

[/quote]

You are correct. I’ve seen one Adjuster actually use this as justification for a complete roof replacement.

Problem is, there are still 20 year 3 tab shingles readily available in some markets. So it goes back to the “like kind and quality” clause. Some policies have clauses in them regarding matching which could also impact this.

This will get interesting if and when all manufacturers quit making 20 year shingles. I would guess that many of the insurance companies will argue for repairs to be made with a 25 year 3 tab in order to avoid full roof replacements.

Problem is, there are still 20 year 3 tab shingles readily available in some markets. So it goes back to the “like kind and quality” clause. Some policies have clauses in them regarding matching which could also impact this.
quote]

True, the best argument I have found to this is bringing out the diminished value argument. It is very easy to see the differnce between and original roof and a new roof repair even if the same color is used due to fading and weathering. By performing the repair only, you can argue that the adjuster would then have to compensate the homeowner for diminished value to the property. It not only can be a bit of an eyesore, but it can also become a sticking point during a real estate transaction.

You can turn heads real quick when you bring that into the picture

Yeah, in some cases that seems to work, in others, it doesn’t. I will readily confess I haven’t always known the reason for the different attitude towards this issue. Several Adjusters have hit hard on the point of the Homeowner not having a matching clause in their policy.

There are adjusters that will listen to you and those that think they know everything.

Point in Case: For the last year State Farm in our area has been trying to get away with paying for “Accidental or Direct Physical Loss”. Meaning they wont pay for anything that is not directly damaged ie: drip edge, valley metal, pipe boots, flashings etc… We’ve managed to get most to understand that even when the policy states “ADPL” there will still be a diminished value to the property if they don’t pay for a full and proper replacement and it could lead to future problems for the homeowner. There are those out there however that refuse to listen because we are dirtbag roofers.

I had a State Farm rep the other day claim that there hasn’t been a 25 year shingle installed anywhere in North Texas. In this case I had gauged the shingle myself, taken a picture and knew that it gauged as a 25 year. He refused to believe it and yelled at me because I was going to waste his time making him go back to gague it himself since he failed to do so when I met him at the inspecting. Some guys just dont want to do their job correctly

ALl the ajusters in my area are aware that the production of 20 yr 3 tabs has stopped and already take this into consideration…lucky me thats one less thing I have to argue with them about

AMEN BROTHER!!!

Does anyone know if 3 tab 20 year is still available in Virginia?