Distorted Metal Ridges

Hi,
I just had a metal standing seam roof installed, but the ridges look extremely distorted. It looks terrible. You can see some photos at flickr.com/photos/fyatx . I need some feedback if this is a proper install of the ridge trim. Should I tell the roofers this is unacceptable? I’d like to be informed enough to walk through this with the roofers.

Thanks
F

wow.

no, that’s unacceptable!!

here is one i did this summer:

Thanks for the quick reply. Your install looks great. Did you use metal enclosures? On mine, it looks to be only foam.

no problem.

and thanks! we used foam as well. more pics of it in my gallery on www.ARCTulsa.com

Where does the foam go?

It sounds like it is their closures.

Some types you cut and lay between the standing seam or ribs in the panels and some come in rolls that have the groove cut out to fit over the ribs and then the ridge cap is installed.
Some vent material looks like cobra vent the type that comes in rolls that is installed on asphalt roofs instead of real vented ridge.

Yep, looks like crap.

Counter flashing looks the same.

hmmm wonder what the other flashings look like.

Man, thats crap!Sorry bud, but I think your the first(and maybe last)metal roof thy ever installed.Did they use foam on the hips too?I dont like foam, should use zee closure, cut too fit.My advice is have someone who knows metal roofing come check out your roof.The wavyness may be the least of your problems-Ray

The transition trim from the roof to the patio actually looks pretty good. Metal closures were used there. What would be the options to fix it? It looks as if they pushed the screws in to far. I’m guessing no vent clips were used. I’ve only paid the down payment, is withholding rest of the payment an option for “unprofessional quality?”

Your roofers put the screws in the middle of the pans instead of on a rib like Agape’s.

Your roofers couldnt get a consistent depth for each screw because its not solid under the ridge.

Hope thats clearer than mud.

sorry, i just got home.

and like said, the whole thing was screwed improperly.

i’m afraid that the only way to fix that, and make it not only pretty… but functional, is to tear off all of that metal, throw it away, and start over. it has holes in all the wrong places, and when you put a hole in metal… the only fix, is to replace it.

what a nightmare.

Gotcha now. Thanks. I always box-fold my ends and wasn’t familiar with it. And I should be. I’ve removed many and box folded and reinstalled new ridge caps a few times.

first of all, you were sold the cheapest standing seam panel. barely a 1" rib.
and it is installed like a 5vcrimp or pbr panel.

standing seam roof ridges, rakes, wall flashin etc
all have whats called z cleat(z closure),which is screwed down and then the cap gets hooked on that, so u dont have any exsposed screws.

im sorry but it does look bad.
there must be some standing seam roofs around you, that have much better lookin cap.
show them to your roofer and tell him/her to
make it look like that other roof.

good luck.

gweedo.

There are no Z-closures beneath head flashing or beneath the hip metal. That is why the metal is unsupported and wavy. It is also why you can see the screw penetrations. Terrible install in my opinion. How bad does it leak? Because if it doesn’t, it will.

Also, as I look at more photos, the installer has both “fixed” the ridge and eave. I deal with commercial installations, and assuming things are the same for residential, those panels needed to be “floated” on one end.

How were the panels lapped together? Was there sealant or a vinyl strip used? And whose panel is that? Oh yeah, what kind of underlayment was used, and was it installed over plywood roof deck?

Thanks for all the feedback. I was fine with the screws showing because you really cannot see my roof from the front (2 story house at the top of a hill). However, I do have an eyebrow over the dining room at the front of the house, and that’s how I noticed how badly the ridge cap and flashing looked.

im ok with seein the screws. they hold the roof on in high winds better than ones you cant see.

gweedo.

Hello,
Here is an example of where the screws should be placed in the ribs. Also are the screws that the roofer used grommeted ?

Here is a view of a ridge that is installed using z trim. There was no room behind the skylights to get small panels in, so we used flatstock and a z trim.

Keith

This photo shows a transition from a low-sloped metal roof to a sloped metal roof; however, the metal counterflashing was not properly hooked onto the Z-closures, and this roof leaked.

Same roof as above, only this is a transition from sloped metal roof to an eyebrow dormer. The transition was improperly flashed and then made worse by sealing with polyurethane. In addition, ends of transition did not properly discharge onto roof panels, and these areas leaked. Also, the contractor that installed the roof did not install vinyl weatherstrip in-seam causing the panels to leak. Luckily, I was able to come in and trouble-shoot the problem and come up with some repair solutions. So far, no more leaks.

Different job. This one shows Z-closures being installed along the ridge. The Z’s were fastened through tops of panels, thus “fixing” the panels along the ridge. That means the eaves were “floated”, or put another way, they were hooked onto a continuous cleat that allows for expansion and contraction of panel.

Overview of second job; it happened to be a H.S. football stadium project, and they take their H.S. football seriously here in Texas.

Driving rain will be VERY fine with it too…