Distribution

Hello everyone! I have not been on here in a while and can’t sleep tonight. I use to be a Contractor in the OK market…I recently sold my half of the business. I am now working for a distributor as a salesman and I am doing very well at it. I would like to get a few of you guys that currently buy or have bought from a supplier to answer a few questions for me. Considering the fact that I grew up in the construction industry, worked as a property adjuster, and then owned my own roofing and construction company, I don’t lack the knowledge aspect of the business.

1.) What does your supply rep do so well that makes you not wanna buy from his/her competitor?
2.) Is cost of material everything? Explain your answer for YES or NO.

They almost always have what i need and get me loaded up quickly at a fair price. If its a delivery they get it out quick.

Cost of material is not everything but the pricing must be in line with other places or I will go elsewhere.

Service is more important than pricing as long as the pricing isn’t way out of line with everybody else.

IMO low pricing with poor service costs more in the end.

I am with Axiom,Price is important but not as important as knowing they will be there for me.I call my order in and if its early enough or if they have room on a truck they put mine on the truck.At the most its the next morning on the first truck out.

IMO a supplier or a good one that is chosen should not be based on price alone.

I know people think I am materialistic in terms of flashy type vehicles and equipment. But I feel its also important for my supplier to have up to date trucks and equipment. After all every phase of the build is a reflection on my company.

Not to stray off topic but a cheap shingle hauled on a piece of crap truck that leaks oil and hydraulic fluid on my customers driveways isn’t going to compensate for the lower price.

Safety is another concern too. Having professional delivery men who act like professionals and stock roofs evenly and take care in stocking the material is equally important as the price issue. Loading a roof improperly can lead to structural damage.

Paying a cheap price for material and having an area overloaded…busting walls and rafters isn’t something that compensates for the lower price.

Paying a cheap price for material having drivers that back into garage doors,crack curbs,rut yards or other types of damage don’t compensate for the lower price.

I am happy to say that service is the most important,to me that is because when I pay for my material it is ;

1.Delivered very quickly.
2.Delivered by professionals driving up to date equipment.
3.Delivered to the customers property without any damage.
4.Stocked properly without damaging the material or structure.

So since my supplier does these things for me I really don’t mind paying a couple dollars more for materials.

In my area there’s two suppliers with fairly equal pricing and service. One has a great salesman who checks in from time to time, buys lunch, has taken me on fishing trips, etc. And when he’s doing this he treats me like a friend rather than a customer. Never asks for my business. The other suppliers salesman might contact me once a year just to ask if I’d like anything quoted. Late winter he called me to go over new pricing. I was busy that day and he said he’d get back to me by the end of the week. Hasn’t got back to me yet.

Some people just don’t have good common sense.

One of my “former” suppliers used to call and ask if we needed anything. I would say yes, we need some shingle samples.

A few days later she would show up at our office with a box of donuts but no shingle samples!

This repeated 3 times at which point I dropped this supplier.

[quote=“Roofmaster417”]I am with Axiom,Price is important but not as important as knowing they will be there for me.I call my order in and if its early enough or if they have room on a truck they put mine on the truck.At the most its the next morning on the first truck out.

IMO a supplier or a good one that is chosen should not be based on price alone.

I know people think I am materialistic in terms of flashy type vehicles and equipment. But I feel its also important for my supplier to have up to date trucks and equipment. After all every phase of the build is a reflection on my company.

Not to stray off topic but a cheap shingle hauled on a piece of crap truck that leaks oil and hydraulic fluid on my customers driveways isn’t going to compensate for the lower price.

Safety is another concern too. Having professional delivery men who act like professionals and stock roofs evenly and take care in stocking the material is equally important as the price issue. Loading a roof improperly can lead to structural damage.

Paying a cheap price for material and having an area overloaded…busting walls and rafters isn’t something that compensates for the lower price.

Paying a cheap price for material having drivers that back into garage doors,crack curbs,rut yards or other types of damage don’t compensate for the lower price.

I am happy to say that service is the most important,to me that is because when I pay for my material it is ;

1.Delivered very quickly.
2.Delivered by professionals driving up to date equipment.
3.Delivered to the customers property without any damage.
4.Stocked properly without damaging the material or structure.

So since my supplier does these things for me I really don’t mind paying a couple dollars more for materials.[/quote]

All very good points.
Providing good service costs money so it stands to reason that a more service oriented supplier will cost a little more.
A very large part of the cost of shingles is in the transport and handling.