Do these numbers look Right?

Avg Slope 3/12 Single Story
Example : 1500 Sf = 15 Sq ( 1 Sq = 100 Sf )

Sales Agent = $ 650
Averge Material Cost = $ 1500
Labor = $ 970
Misiclanious = $ 500
Dumpster = $ 500
Permits = $ 200
Profit & Overhead = $ 1800
Contract Cost = $ 6120

Actual numbers can vary by a ridiculous amount depending on where you are in the country.

im assuming by your labour cost that it’s a one layer tear off with no new plywood even if you peel and stick the whole deck thats a pretty good dollar like jmreaves says though it does depend where you are .hey if the market will bear it go for it

At 410.00 a sq., I think you could afford to pay the guy doing the work a little more than 60+.00…Ya think?

$500 misc
$500 dumpster

LOL!!

Lol- Jason, you always make me laugh.

What kind of roof is this anyway? $400 per square?

[quote=“Agape”]$500 misc
$500 dumpster

LOL!![/quote]

i would be around $450 for a dumpster here
But $500 for misc… i guess your buying the beer

No where to haul off-site with a trailer for cheaper? I can’t imagine paying that kind of money for a dumpster.

for 500.00 I’ll throw 15 sq. in my P.U. all day long,lol…I’ll take the misc. too,lol

You guys seem to focus on the dump fees and misc.
What about the absurdly low labor stipend…

I’ll tell you why Axiom-

Lol- no, I’m just going to keep quiet. All I’ll say is that depending on where your at in the country, these numbers can be EXTREMELY different.

You looked at it and thought, “wow, that labor cost is low.” I looked at it and thought, $400 dollars a square for a little roof and $1000 for misc and dump fees?

[quote=“-Axiom-”]You guys seem to focus on the dump fees and misc.
What about the absurdly low labor stipend…[/quote]

If i was “that kind” of contractor, around here (or in Texas), i could get a 15sq 3:12 done for less than $600, so that wasnt surprising. I could dump that with my truck for like $30.

$500 misc is lunch/beer for a week for the whole crew, and salesmen.

Personally, I think thats pretty damn high for a 15sq roof. I wouldnt get any jobs at all if i bid them around here like that. I’d probably have to come in under $4,000 to even be in the running.

bluestreak, we need your location. those numbers are high to me. I’m just basing it on the 408 bucks a square that it comes out too. I would never get that job on a 3/12.

If you’re concentrating on “per square price”
you wont be in business very long.

The bigger the job, the smaller the amount per square.
The smaller the job, the bigger amount per square.

A 15 sq job is a very small job. So the amount is much higher per square.

There is no such thing as a proper amount per square.
And the state of the economy “in these times” has nothing to do with it.

Has your mortgage gone down? no.
Has your electricity gone done? No
Has a single monthly expense gone down for you? NO
prices only go up.

Its the amount of JOBs that the country still has that are going down. Daily… Hundreds losing their jobs daily. Every single day.
Change… its what you all wanted.
New construction was a booming venture in my city.
Every construction worker of every trade had work 5 days a week and could switch to another employer on a dime.
Now there is completely nothing. Most successfull builders went out of business. ALL OF IT came down crashing after the elections of 06.
Thats when the democrats took control of our government and added regulations/taxes. It crippled this city, this state. And they are coming for you too.

The breakdown of cost & price was this salesmans downfall. I personally never break it down, your setting yourself up to be analized by the customer & your downing the next guys work for him because you know the h.o. is gonna show the next guy so he can climb under that price. I try not to even tell the h.o. squarage unless they ask, i just give a free estimate as in verbal, then if they like it, right it up. Why even waste your co. letterhead unless its a go. That price is right for out here for a legit/established co. But, pickup trk. Pete will always do it for half of that. theres to many unknowns like: How many layers?, what kind of deck,plywd.?,t&g?, is it cut up? is there skylites? dormers?& etc.does the chimney need a reflash?Wall tie-ins?

A 10 yd dumpster costs me $345 and that is with my discount for having an account.
Walk in off the street and it will cost you $450.

I can go 120 mi south and get 20yd dumpsters for $300.

Materials average about $130/sq for Landmark 30’s, Grace, 30# felt, aluminum t-drip, accessory cap, etc.

I don’t know about you guys but I would rather work on a 8/12 or steeper.
Those low slopers just kill my back.

For my area the final per/sq price is in the right ballpark.
You won’t find anybody around here to do the labor for $970 though.
Not anybody established anyway.

[quote]If you’re concentrating on “per square price”
you wont be in business very long.

The bigger the job, the smaller the amount per square.
The smaller the job, the bigger amount per square. [/quote]

I agree with this for the most part. What it comes down to is every job is different and that’s why we calculate the profit of every job before delivering an estimate. The whole point of my original post is that numbers are different everywhere. In Dallas-Fort Worth, you would NEVER win a job at $400 per square on a walkable 3/12 nor would an insurance company be willing to pay that amount. (And I can’t stand the democrats either! :D)

Your materials price sounds about right to me also Axiom. That would put a 15 square roof at around 2k in materials so that would be not too far from what he had. I guess the big difference here is labor cost.

[quote=“-Axiom-”]

A 10 yd dumpster costs me $345 and that is with my discount for having an account.
Walk in off the street and it will cost you $450.

I can go 120 mi south and get 20yd dumpsters for $300.[/quote]

I cant imagine how any reasonable roofing business owner can make $300-400 per roof an option for dump fees.

If you only do 2 roofs a month, then a NICE truck and trailer will pay for itself.

if you only do like 2 or 3 a week, you would be saving around $1,000 before making the truck/trailer payment. so $4,000 a month gets a pretty damn nice Truck and trailer, insurance, plus gas, and pays for all dump fees. You then have an asset, tax deduction, and something to liquidate if you go belly up.

Is there another point of view im missing?

Some roofs cost close to $1k to dispose of.

The dump fees here are outrageous but what can you do they have a monopoly.

The dumpsters only cost about $100 more than hauling and dumping it myself.

Sometimes I use the trailer, sometimes I use a dumpster, sometimes I just throw it in the back of the truck.
The dump is usually on the other side of the county from where I am working.

The determining factor for me is location of the job relative to the location of the dump.
The size of the job, and the lay of the land at the job.

Man. Thats terrible!! The last time I paid $1,000 to dispose of anything, it was a 300sq library with 2 layers.

Maybe I should move up there and open a dumpster company. lol