Drip Edge: Did I make a mistake?

So I finally pulled the trigger, have got a commercial crew out here doing my home. Seem like quality guys, for sure. When we drafted the contract, the owner looked at the drip edge, and thought it’d be something we could reuse. I pushed on him, and asked for new stuff. He agreed.

Now that they’re here, stripping, prepping, he showed me a piece of drip edge they bought, and the kind that’s on there. The kind that’s on there was clearly better (thicker, and the edge came out further.) Anyway, he recommended I reuse it. I agreed. (Without asking for a discount! Duh!!) Anyway, I’m wondering if reusing my drip edge was a huge mistake?

Thanks.

As long as the drip edge isnt rusty or damaged, it should be fine to re-use

However, be sure they still remove it so your nice, new ice and watershield comes all the way to to the edge of your decking. Dont let them just ice & water over your existing drip because ice dams can crawl under that old metal & into your soffet & home.

this is very true. i seen it at about 20 homes this past winter. It went and backed up right up under the drip then started to pull cheaper ice and water right up. Although it had not been a problem with the last 10 winters. we just had a real bad year last year.

i’m willing to bet the guys you just had there did not rip it off and ice and water under the drip. At that point it would be less money time wise to rip the old drip off fast and pay the $40 for new drip to put it on.

It amazes me how drip edge holds alot of value.

Easy fix.If its a new roof and you have existing drip edge,replace it.Man how much of a discount could it possibly be??? How much money are you truly saving ?

How silly.

Really? Drip edge is integral to the roof system and is inexpensive and easy to install. I am currently handling a case where a roofer used thin rolled sheet metal instead of buying the proper 26 gage 45 degree with a drip kick. It makes you wonder sometimes what are people thinking.

the problem with there thinkin is that they think its alright to spend a fortune on a counter top,… but the roof… :roll: …

Drip edge is a necessity in certain regions, not so much in other regions. Where I live, it’s really a cosmetic thing. Will a roof without drip edge leak before a roof with drip edge, not necessarily. Will water and ice back up the roof without drip edge, not around here it won’t.

Drip edge may be a requirement and necessity in LA, but it’s neither up here.
Different strokes for different folks, or different regions anyway 8)

RCABC requires drip edge HERE in BC.

That was my point.(Not if it were necessary or not)

People are easily fooled by the deception of drip edge being such an expensive roof system accessory.I mean geeezz what is it ? @ the most $7 a stick?(premium) or $4 a stick (cheap),Huge bank breaker.

“We decided to go with John Bull because his bid was $8,000 to reuse the drip edge and the other guy was $8100 for new drip edge” (Yep,I saw that contractor coming a mile away)

Thanks all!

After all that, he ended up deciding to NOT reuse the dripedge. They came back the next day and didn’t like how it was sitting over the garage.

A related question: the roofers didn’t caulk under the drip edge where it meets the fascia. should i have someone do that for me? (I saw them do it on Ask This Old House. :slight_smile: …I’ve got a kid that comes out and does odd jobs around the house, and that might be a good project for him if you guys think I’d be getting a better end product.

Mon Jun 20, 2011

Wed Oct 07, 2009

RCABC may require it on their jobs, but drip edge isn’t “required” in BC.

Yellowhouse, you don’t have to caulk the drip to the facia, in fact I have never seen, nor heard of this before.
And if you ever, I MEAN EVER, see Bob Vila doing something to a roof, forget what you saw as fast as you see it :lol:

[quote=“bcdemon”]

Mon Jun 20, 2011

Wed Oct 07, 2009

RCABC may require it on their jobs, but drip edge isn’t “required” in BC.

Yellowhouse, you don’t have to caulk the drip to the facia, in fact I have never seen, nor heard of this before.
And if you ever, I MEAN EVER, see Bob Vila doing something to a roof, forget what you saw as fast as you see it :lol:[/quote]

Your point bonehead? did I say i was a part of it…fuc your clueless… :roll:

And he whines that he’s just defending himself,…frig he looked back to 2009… :roll:

No, dont caulk under it. Its not supposed to be caulked. Its designed to drain, if you caulk it & water gets under your roof system somehow the caulking would create a dam causing ice or water to back up & cause a leak elsewhere.

Well blast me if you want but I’ve reused aluminum edging quite a few times. The new stuff is definitely thinner. Hate looking at a long gable when the sun is shining and there’s a big buckle in the new d edge.

When we use dripedge or rake, its always 26gauge steel…what are you guys using that its so thin? I thought 26g was the common… :shock:

I rarely use steel drip but have. Most is either Rollex or Quality Edge in aluminum.

It’s funny here in MN we get big ice dams and have some the strictest building codes but yet drip edge is only an option.

I like the look on the inspectors faces when they see the drip over the ice and water on the eaves. Typicaly they say it’s done wrong, quick answer? “I’ll just rip it out then, it’s not a code requirement!” You want your sticky stuff to protect as much decking as possible, imo…

Only steel available round here is white, brown or galvanized. The face is very short so it doesn’t always cover on old houses that need sheathing over the roof boards. Finish isn’t the greatest either as I’ve had some about ten years old starting to rust.

Usually go with aluminum as they have most colors to match existing fascia. Problem is they get thinner all the time. If the aluminum edging is in good shape I’ll sometimes reuse the rake edging. Depends on the job. Thanks to the Certainteed organics we’re replacing a lot of roofs around 6-12 years old. People are unhappy to have to pay anything to replace their crappy organics. If I can save them a 100 bucks or so and reuse their old thicker edging I will do it and still sleep good at night. I don’t do it to try and come in at the lowest price as that’s never a goal of mine.

Ours our 26g painted (rust paint) steel, where I get my supplies I can get them bent to whatever size I need…and color pretty much any color, but common ones are usually black, brown, charcoal or white…