EPA RRP moratorium in severe storm damage areas?

After an F1 came through North Minneapolis last Sunday damaging a few hundred homes of which the majority are pre 78’ I decided to check the EPA site looking for rules regarding storm damage repairs. As far as I could tell, anyone (including contractors) involved in cleanup work is exempt from the RRP rules. However, regarding repairs, it appears that all of the regular rules apply.

In that situation where a tornado has distributed lead dust everywhere I imagined for a minute in my cartoon bubble, some hard nosed EPA inspector requiring the entire part of the city that was damaged to be covered in plastic.

Being that RRP will apply to all repair work, I considered the additional (and unnecessary, IMO) time, trouble and expense that would be involved in getting all of those HO’s properties back to normal. I arrived at the same conclusion that I believe most others would arrive at. The solution, exempt the damaged properties and the contractors working on them from the rules. Not doing so would only result in another disaster on top of the one that already happened.

I called several state and fed reps and proposed that a moratorium be placed on the rules so the work can get started and completed in a timely manner. Thus far I have only heard back from Congressman John Kline’s office. I talked to his rep this am who agreed that my proposal made sense and would bring the issue up with Kline.

Obviously, the same moratorium would make sense in other areas of the country devastated by record breaking storms this spring.

I asked Kline’s rep to keep me informed. When I hear back from him and/or others re: my proposed moratorium, I will post the results here.

Very interesting LMB,All the local and state governments should put into perspective that all the city workers that were hired to enforce these restrictions and guidelines are right in the middle of all the lead and esbestos.They are working to help the clean up process without following these restrictions and guidelines themselves.A double standard IMO.

It is also a little confusing with the amount of volunteers who are oblivious to the dangers they face.If the EPA is going to enforce they should either freeze the law for a bit in the severely damaged areas or inforce it with everyone.

But maybe they are holding contractors at a higher standard of responsibility.

GREAT points made. Cant wait to see where this goes.

The idea makes a lot of sense. One must consider however that the insurance companies are paying for 99% of the damages from the North Minneapolis twister so dawning some plastic and gown would be compensated for.

Gotta hope by stirring the pot over the lead laws in the damaged area they don’t come in and block off the whole area and only allow individuals with the lead license, masks, and gowns to do the clean up, keep in mind we are talking about liberal Minneapolis here!

To be honest will not be going into that area to do any repairs of any type. It sounds like the twister ran right through the heart of the ghetto. Plan on a ton of materials being stolen out of yards once the rebuilding occures. Looting and robberies already taking place… Chances are there are some “good” streets that got hit but keep in mind it’s still North Minneapolis! There’s enough hail and wind damage in safe areas to keep me busy the rest of the year.

If your slow though I guess work is work!!!

[quote=“dougger222”]The idea makes a lot of sense. One must consider however that the insurance companies are paying for 99% of the damages from the North Minneapolis twister so dawning some plastic and gown would be compensated for.

Gotta hope by stirring the pot over the lead laws in the damaged area they don’t come in and block off the whole area and only allow individuals with the lead license, masks, and gowns to do the clean up, keep in mind we are talking about liberal Minneapolis here!

To be honest will not be going into that area to do any repairs of any type. It sounds like the twister ran right through the heart of the ghetto. Plan on a ton of materials being stolen out of yards once the rebuilding occures. Looting and robberies already taking place… Chances are there are some “good” streets that got hit but keep in mind it’s still North Minneapolis! There’s enough hail and wind damage in safe areas to keep me busy the rest of the year.

If your slow though I guess work is work!!![/quote]

Good points…Likely, and unfortunately, alot of the HO’s in the areas didn’t even have P&C ins.

At this point, the many 100’s of people involved in the cleanup will have inhaled plenty of lead dust so requiring suits and masks would’nt make any sense - quite the conundrum for ultra lib R. T. Rybak who is so concerned with making the lives of MPLS citizens better - after he’s spent all their tax money “greening” up the city and protecting the illegals.

A couple days ago when I was in Joplin last we wore masks,and people were looking at us funny.Now they are making it mandatory for the use of masks by everyone.