EPDM step and apron flashings

Was just wondering if any one in the states uses this method? Its very common in nz.
You can look at my suppliers specs if ya like @ www.asphaltshingle.co.nz.

Let me know what you think.
choice one bro :mrgreen:

or canada (sorry kage) :mrgreen:

Also check out the EAVE detail on the specs page. something different ey?

Nice site you have there…

So you’re using rubber for your flashings then. Interesting. Seems like it would work fine although metal looks nicer. :smiley:
I like the eave detail. I have seen a few homes like that in richmond city area, old ones. I doubt they had proper air gap and all but I think that is a good method. I

t would take me a while to get used the metric system.

Roofer r… its my suppliers website, im a contractor. If i could afford that website id be of the tools :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah the EPDM rubber works well, have been told its life will far out live metal. It actually looks good because you dont see it.

The apron flashing sits on top of the back part of the second to last shingle, then a face or top course shingle is cut and applied over the top.Because there is know where to nail the top course, you lift up the double laminate (very carefully) mastik under the top course where you are gona nail witth a U shape(so if water gets in behind it runs awey from the nail) Then nail and mastik then put the double laminate back down.

Hard to explain. Essentially you dont have a metal apron flashing over the top of the shingle, its all hidden, looks good, and works very well.

yes metric is a little different.
Tet if you asked a NewZealander how tall they are, they would refer to feet and inches. strange!

butynol;

Is that a flexible membrane? or somewhat stiff so it holds it’s bent shape?

That eave detail won’t work around the northern states that have ice and water backup problems.

rubber outlasting copper or stainless steel?
i dont think so.

but you can us it for flashing.

gweedo.

[quote=“dennis”]butynol;

Is that a flexible membrane? or somewhat stiff so it holds it’s bent shape?

That eave detail won’t work around the northern states that have ice and water backup problems.[/quote]

yes Butynol is a flex rubber membrane, very popular over here. I think you guys are more into your torch on and TPO?

Google it.

[quote=“gweedo”]rubber outlasting copper or stainless steel?
i dont think so.

gweedo.[/quote]

Yip, your right Gweedo. Copper or stainless steel is not your average metal in New Zealang though. The price of both of those is sky high!! The town i live in, is coastal so ya gotta take that into accont to. Coulor steel is the most popular form of metal and there is NO warranty next to the ocean!!

So with over 20 years of using EPDM and Butynol step flashings in NZ, its the cheapest and the safest.Thanks though.

[quote=“gweedo”]rubber outlasting copper or stainless steel?
i dont think so.

gweedo.[/quote]

EPDM warranty 20 years.
Colour steel by the ocean zero.

If you put into account that the step and apron flashings have very little or no UV’S directly on them. Then the EPDM will out last its warranty to comply with the shingle warranty. As time has already tested.

I’ve seen a few asphalt shingle roofs with those butyl step flashings, but it was more used in the old Asbestos Hardies Tile roofs.
Don’t use the buytl myself, eventually the asphalt will leach into the rubber and they will react and the rubber will shrivel up. Especially in the hot parts of the country.
It will take 20 years or so.

[quote=“MikeNZ”]I’ve seen a few asphalt shingle roofs with those butyl step flashings, but it was more used in the old Asbestos Hardies Tile roofs.
Don’t use the buytl myself, eventually the asphalt will leach into the rubber and they will react and the rubber will shrivel up. Especially in the hot parts of the country.
It
will take 20 years or so.[/quote]

lucky im not in a hot part :mrgreen:
What do or have you used for step flashings?

The one thing that gets me is, over time no matter what you use as materials…all things at some point react with some thing else. GEEEEZ ya cant win.

When ya think ya got it, ya dont :roll:

i use EPDM step and aprons.

fair enough,
your in the salt air.
i feel ya.
so am i.

yeah painted metal rust when the wind blows.
i dont warr it.
only use it when im forced.

gweedo.

Florida, thats a soggy place in the summer ey!
I lived in Deland for 2 months and pensacola(spelling).

Awsome and warm, but it rained at 3.30 4.00 every day, cracked me up!!! :smiley:

yeah that 3 or 4 oclock rain is startin to happen again, thie summer, after bein absent for several years. so im gettin a job here and there. thank god.

pensecola and deland are a few hours to the north of me. i visit deland(daytona) often.

gweedo.

We use painted flashings here on the westcoast, no problems, its the galvinized unpainted stuff we always have problems with {RUST}…