Failed inspection

Just finished a job a couple days ago. The roof looked great and was installed great. The inspector failed one of the roof planes for high nails. We 6 nailed it. The homeowner and I inspected it after it failed. He was a former contractor himself. We lifted up about 25 or so random shingles. All were right on the nail line except 2 nails. These 2 nails were on different shingles and were 1.5 to 2 inches above the nail line. They were put in slightly high because the nails hit a gap in the plywood. We had to tear off 5 squares. During the tear off all the shingles were nailed right on the nail line with the exception of a few that were moved up to hit solid wood. And I mean a few. The homeowner needed his inspection complete asap cause his insurance policy was about to expire so i did not protest the inspection. I was pissed for 3 days. Oh well.

Generally if you have a “failed” inspection you just replace/fix the effected areas, ie. the one shingle with 2 high nails. Not sure why you tore off a supposedly acceptable 500sq ft of material to fix 2 nails… Am I missing something here?

1. I did not lift up every shingle to inspect. They were already sealed.
  2. I needed to get the homeowner their approved inspection ASAP so their insurance policy would not expire. The only way I knew for sure I could make that happen was do what the prick inspector asked and redo the slope.

Well played. Thats surely worth a referal.

I dont know about you guys, but when I can help a customer solve a serious problem, it makes my day. And to get paid for it at the same time? Thats what people mean when they say “if you enjoy your job, its not really working”. It sure aint every day, but its enough that I feel pretty darn lucky. Sounds like you did just that.

That being said, once the house passes “inspection” and the insurance policy is in force, remind your customer that he/she has many options for P&C insurance. The way I look at it, if they are busting your clients chops over this, what is gonna happen when they actually have to pay a claim? And since its apparent you will be the contractor if they have a claim, it helps you too that they have a carrier that will act in good faith.

The other side of that coin is when a clients carrier steps up and acts professionally, I always remind my client how well the claim was handled and that they should keep that policy in force. I usually will pass that on to the adjuster so they know their efforts have benefited the carrier to whatever extent possible.

Not all jobs are winners, sometimes you have to take one for the “Gipper” Although I don’t undertstand why you didnt just add nails where they were need and hand seal the shingles?