Flashing a dormer. Need help from a pro. (Updated with pics)

you had step flashing before the addition was added,it just looks a mess,i would use a cats paw ,remove the siding board,put apron flashing,and restep up to the old step,fix the shingles underneath for proper rake edge overhang,and reinstall the board siding

relax mr fronty,
is the dam thing leaking?
if not, put the corner molding on your wood siding,
paint it, then please move on to the next project.

gweedo

By the looks of the pic if it isnt leaking it sure as hell will. It amazing that people can get paid for that kind of work. No offence but you need a roofer.

RooferJim

that`s my opinion as well for reasons stated previously

Whats wrong with the second picture?

Where did you see/read that there was ever step flashing? I said that the roofer used angle flashing. Please look at the pictures closer.

[quote=“RooferJ”]By the looks of the pic if it isnt leaking it sure as hell will. It amazing that people can get paid for that kind of work. No offence but you need a roofer.

RooferJim[/quote]

I’m obviously not a roofer. Nobody got paid for the work. This is my own project. Where will it leak? The only reason I messed with the flashing is because the corners were rotted. The angle flashing has held up find for over 20 years. They just didn’t do anything for the corners. I shouldn’t have put tar on the corner flashing I had fabricated. It kind of boogered up the job. Keep in mind that the corner flashing was soldered and it tucks behind the angle flashing by 4 inches. Well, why would it leak if it hasn’t for 20 years and the corner is now sealed??? I need to know where you think potential problem areas are, so I can fix/improve that area.

By the way it is configured, it looks as if it might never leak. It has happened both ways in my experience.

it looks like you have step flashing on the old work(2nd picture)every 2nd to 3rd course but step type nonetheless-by rights you should have waterproofing at the wall juncture and going up 3-4"as a back-up to the step flashing(to protect against wind driven rain /ice),then you should have one staepflashing per course of shingles-sealants eventually give way to expansion and contraction

you`ve been lucky so far so leave it till you do the roof,at least now you know how it should be and why

It isn’t step flashing. It is just angle flashing. I did cut some of the old flashing and replaced it with more angle flashing. I have been looking at some houses in the neighborhood and they all seem to have been done the same way. They sealed the shingles to the angle flashing. It looks like they added a ton of roofing cement. It was a pain getting some of the shingles off of the flashing. I tried doing the same thing with roofing cement. We had bad weather today and I checked for leaks and everything was dry. I removed the soffit, so I could inspect the plywood underneath. The roof has already been replaced once about 12 years ago. The never did anything with the flashing. The only thing they did was add some flexible seal around the corner. It kind of looks like the vinyl cutter seal material. I’m wondering if they build a little different here in Florida or my area. I have only seen step flashing in books and online. I don’t know. I remember a pro said that you need weatherproofing behind the siding as well, but it has been 20 plus years and the studs are all clean and dry. All the houses in the neighborhood have no weatherproofing as well (under T1-11).

step flashing is angle flashing,just typically individual pieces per each course rather than continuous for the whole run—when you ask for advice,we as proffessionals should always let you know the textbook techniques so you never have a problem,youre not here to have someone tell you,oh that "should"be ok---in my opiion the whole situation is poorly done,and should be dne properly,but yes you can wait till you have problems,and then correct the situation when you go to put on a new roof,hopefully you wont realise its time to do it because you now have major damage/or mold growing from minor leakage that has gone unnoticed---just because everyones is done that way,certainly does not make it correct,it just means one of those roofers that give the rest of us a bad name did all the houses in the neighborhood,also usually because they gave the builder the cheapest price,always pick VALUE BEFORE COST and you`ll be alright–NUFF SAID

I understand what you are saying. I don’t think step flashing is the correct terminology in this situation, however. Step flashing is more than just small pieces of angle flashing. There is a process as well. Some idiot could just put a bunch of small pieces of angle flashing together without weaving through the courses. This wouldn’t be considered step flashed. Either would a continous piece of angle flashing. I don’t know now. This method seems to have worked for 200 plus houses in my area. Maybe, step flashing is superior, but if it doesn’t leak this way for 20 plus years, I don’t see it as being as problematic as you are making it out to be. You almost make it sound like it is guaranteed to leak. I mean using a step flashing method may be superior and more proven, but statistically, I would say that this method is at the very least a plausible method. Keep in mind that step flashing isn’t fail safe either. Moreover, the method that we are discussing has never failed at the house in reference. It is the corners that I am seeking advice in. I really didn’t lose any faith in the angle flashing. I put a corner flashing on the problematic area and hope I resolved the problem. That is what I was seeking advice for. If you don’t think that the soldered corner flashing is adequate please let me know. It appears that there are many different methods in roofing, as there are in all trades. Most tradesmen like to do it their way and all other ways are inferior and do not work in their minds. For example, I got bashed for buying a 2.5 GPM pressure washer from Lowes by some pros. They said it would never work for my needs. Basically, saying that I just threw away $300. Well, I now have a clean fence that some neighbors mistakenly thought I had replaced and not just cleaned. My drive way is cleaner as well. I guess I’m trying to say that there are multiple techniques out there and it isn’t always going to be as cut and dry as it will work and not work.

You seam to have all the answers Fronty.
Maybee you should just rewrite roofing history with your new innovative flashing techniques.

RooferJim

“Some idiot could just put a bunch of small pieces of angle flashing together without weaving through the courses. This wouldn’t be considered step flashed.”

Actually it would be. It would just be an incorrect installation.

I have seen a lot of gang (one piece) flashings in both Louisiana and Arizona. Yes, they can work. The step flashing design is way better though. You are correct, there is more than one way to skin a cat, just keep in mind that one technique will always be superior to the other methods. I understand you came here seeking help and got a bunch of critique too but what did you expect, heh.

[quote=“RooferJ”]You seam to have all the answers Fronty.
Maybee you should just rewrite roofing history with your new innovative flashing techniques.

RooferJim[/quote]

What are you talking about? I didn’t invent this technique or a new innovative flashing technique. I just wrapped a corner with metal. Some of you said to just use iron, etc… I just had a piece fabricated for the corner and left the original flashing in place. When I’m ready to redo the roof, I will replace it with the step flashing process. I’m just saying that some people look at it once and say it will leak gallons during the next time it sprinkles. There is not many things out there that can last 20 years in the elements and NOT fail. That is right. This method DID NOT fail. If it had, I would have replaced it with step flashing immediately and not wait. I am worried ONLY about the corners. So, where did I rewrite anything or have an innovative technique? I don’t understand.

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]“Some idiot could just put a bunch of small pieces of angle flashing together without weaving through the courses. This wouldn’t be considered step flashed.”

Actually it would be. It would just be an incorrect installation.

I have seen a lot of gang (one piece) flashings in both Louisiana and Arizona. Yes, they can work. The step flashing design is way better though. You are correct, there is more than one way to skin a cat, just keep in mind that one technique will always be superior to the other methods. I understand you came here seeking help and got a bunch of critique too but what did you expect, heh.[/quote]

I think we shouldn’t argue over semantics. True, someone would have used step flashing, but without correct procedure, it wouldn’t be considered step flashed. It does seem like pro’s critique everything. Almost too harshly in the internet realm. There are two different states of the world. One is the perfect internet world. In this world, everything is done by the textbook and everything else isn’t just inferior it is almost a sin to not do it that way. The other world is the real world. This is the one that I am living in and the one where I am trying to repair the corner of a dormer. I guess I’m saying that one has to weigh their options and consider everything from time to costs of material.

You’ll have to excuse my friends…they are a proud bunch. :slight_smile:

First you say. “I think we shouldn’t argue over semantics.”
Then your very next sentence you do just that, lol. “True, someone would have used step flashing, but without correct procedure, it wouldn’t be considered step flashed.”

Funny.