Flashing replacement over shingle roof pitch change

I’ve got a low sloped carport attached to a barn style shed (low slope on top with step slope on the sides). We got high winds that tore up the flashing between the carport and shed. I’ve got new flashing in place under the shingles on the shed and nailed along the top (nail under each tab). How do I secure the flashing along the bottom?

While I was replacing the flashing, I tore one of the shingle tabs about half way through. The tear is on top of the flashing. Can I use some roofing caulk where it’s torn, or do I need to replace the shingle?

On the shed, over the pitch transition (low to step pitch) the shingles are bent over the transition and the ends are stapled down. They’re starting to lift off, should I replace the staples with roofing nails, do something else, or not worry about it?

If the shed is a Gambrel (barn) style roof, why do you have flashing along the bottom as that is almost vertical?

Pictures please.

Bending shingles and face nailing in place can result in a stress crack over time. Even moreso if they were installed cold.

Pictures please.

The flashing is on the transition between the carport and shed (they’re singled independently).

The bent shingles were put in before I bought the place and don’t show signs of cracking.

Depending on the width of the roof, one piece of 24" valley metal would have been a much more visually appealling transition from the shed to the carport. The stapled pitch change on the shed could have been accomplished with reversed wall flashing then the shingles could have been trimmed accordingly. Overall, the configuration with what has been done will do the trick, aesthetics aside. Staples will tear through the shingles after time prompting you to replace them. In the meantime, leave it be.

The shingles seem to be lifting the staples out in this situation. Would there be any harm in replacing them with nails now since I’ll be up there anyway?

Anyway to secure the bottom of the valley metal? I’m mainly worried about the wind (last wind storm was about 70mph with some areas getting over 100 mph) lifting it off again.

In this circumstance, as the staples are being pulled, I would see if I could find metal caps nails. These are used for fastening underlay to roofs and will offer a wider holding surface for the shingles that are stapled. Along the bottom of the valley terminating on the lowslope roof, use 1.5" to 2" roofing nails spaced 12" apart and apply roofing sealant on the heads.

This will make “what you have” more durable until the next time you redo the roof. That is my take anyhow and I encourage some other members to chime in with their suggestions. Many gifted roofing minds around here.

Best of luck to you!

There is a fastener, comes in a small one pound type box.
It is made of thick gauge aluminum, ring shanked and with rubber gasket.

You want this valley metal installed tighter into the void and with no wrinkles before you fasten it.
Because you cant fasten the wrinkles flat.
Stick your foot in the center of the valley metal and push into the air space as far as it will go,
Use both feet to hold it tight into the void across approx 3 foot span to hold it in tight while you nail the first fastener at one of the ends.
Then
Pushing the valley metal tight into the void at least two feet ahead of your nailing.
Once you have the first few feet of metal fastened, then you only need one foot pushing in the valley( the void).as you nail it.
If you do this correctly, the metal should look flat and smooth, tight with no wrinkles.

If you ripped one of the shingles above the valley metal, if i am understanding you correctly,
You could cut out a piece of metal and slide it underneath the rip.
You might not have to do anything at all.
You might only need to roof cement a seam or a fastener that is directly underneath the rip.
If there is a not a seam or a fastener under the rip, nothing is necessary.

The Gabriel pitch transition, i would roof cement all those exposed fasteners liberally.
Then i would squirt some underneath all those tabs so they dont keep popping up and to help hold them down.

Doesn’t look pretty, but hopefully it’s functional. Thanks Ivoman and roof_lover.

2 Likes

Looks pretty good to me!

You did a fine job! Nice work.

Noncowboy coming back as Cliffordclammy.
I am sure we will respect everything he says.
Hes so smart.

2 Likes

Please quit obsessing over me it’s creepy. This was a homeowner and he did a good job to get himself through until he has to reroof and can address everything properly. You are so ignorant.

3 Likes