Flat rooftop deck new home with issues

Several years ago I started a home as an owner builder and hired a SIP Builder to do the shell. He used 6" foam panels with galvanized steel skins for the walls and the same was used for the flat roof that was to be used as a deck. The plans called for a 1/4" slope and when ordering the steel, the Builder made an error. He managed to get a minimal slope toward the scupper side and said that if there were issues, he would make it right (we know how that goes).

The idea was to have aluminum square tube sleepers attached to the roof with pvc decking over that. The roof was first coated with an acrylic coating – the roofer I was using said it would never hold up and talked me into a urethane coating over that. It was not applied the way I wanted but I foolishly let it go.

Now I have ponding and leaking issues. The SIP Contractor says its my fault as I was the GC.

I have removed the vinyl decking and the aluminum sleepers and patched to stop the leaks.

I am now looking as SPF to fill the pond areas and force the water to the scuppers. I have found someone that does fiberglass coatings – like boat material who seems to know what he is talking about and has a good recommendation but he does not do the SPF work.

We want to use the roof as a deck but there will not be a lot of traffic on it. Also, we live on Tampa Bay (a salt water environment) and in a V-Zone for wind purposes which further complicates matters.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i have fixed many of the freezer panel roofs.
they do not work well as a deck.
you have seems every 4 ft that will need to be striped in with 6" roofing material. caulking or coating will not work. no , peal and stick strips will not either. you will need to tar down 6" strips of a good flat roofing product.
now once you strip in your seems, and let them harden for a few weeks you will be able to use as a sunnin deck. no dance partys, no 300lb freinds jumpin around.
just you and your skinny little girlfreind lighty
walkin around up there.

gweedo.

[quote=“joeh”]Several years ago I started a home as an owner builder and hired a SIP Builder to do the shell. He used 6" foam panels with galvanized steel skins for the walls and the same was used for the flat roof that was to be used as a deck. The plans called for a 1/4" slope and when ordering the steel, the Builder made an error. He managed to get a minimal slope toward the scupper side and said that if there were issues, he would make it right (we know how that goes).

The idea was to have aluminum square tube sleepers attached to the roof with pvc decking over that. The roof was first coated with an acrylic coating – the roofer I was using said it would never hold up and talked me into a urethane coating over that. It was not applied the way I wanted but I foolishly let it go.

Now I have ponding and leaking issues. The SIP Contractor says its my fault as I was the GC.

I have removed the vinyl decking and the aluminum sleepers and patched to stop the leaks.

I am now looking as SPF to fill the pond areas and force the water to the scuppers. I have found someone that does fiberglass coatings – like boat material who seems to know what he is talking about and has a good recommendation but he does not do the SPF work.

We want to use the roof as a deck but there will not be a lot of traffic on it. Also, we live on Tampa Bay (a salt water environment) and in a V-Zone for wind purposes which further complicates matters.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

So you want to use your roof for a deck. Well, I want to use my truck as a motor boat; any ideas?

Seriously, if you want help you need to provide some photographs.