Flat rooftop used as a patio (Condo Building)

The flat roof ( approx 10,000 sqft) of our condo building has been having issues with leaks, bubbles, etc… We’ve repaired the paraphet walls, and the general attitude about our roof issues is due to the use of the roof as a patio. We currently have rubber walkpads, however the ones we have are not ideal because debris from the pads clog the roof drain (pads are old and are shedding debris, and water appears to be trapped under the walkpads after it rains/snows which may or may not contribute to our issues. Are there any suggestions that would help preserve the life of our now 10 year old roof while still allowing the roof to be used as a patio? for example tarring the roof? or better walk pads?

Check out this website it might help out alot 40mm vs 1/4 inch in a quarter of the time and its soy and well ready from what i understand to walk on safely.

expandothane.com/

I am not affiliated with this either. just a product i seen and well talked to the owner, nice guy and have samples for a couple of guys that want it that are friends in my state.

[quote=“gtp1003”]Check out this website it might help out alot 40mm vs 1/4 inch in a quarter of the time and its soy and well ready from what i understand to walk on safely.

expandothane.com/

I am not affiliated with this either. just a product i seen and well talked to the owner, nice guy and have samples for a couple of guys that want it that are friends in my state.[/quote]

Thanks for the response, is this some that can be used as a replacement to walkpads or in addition?

You would have to call them im not sure but they have man products form flat roofs. i do know you can walk on it for sure. it can be over modified and epdm with out tear offs. there is a primer for one of them but no tear off and quarter the time.

What kind of roof do you currently have?

What kind of roof do you currently have? Should I assume it is a built-up roof?

Yes, another recommendation from our roofer is to put a torch down roof on top of what we have. I’m not sure if the things he’s suggesting are the best way to go.

Properly applied a torchdown roof is a very good roof.

Since the roof has been leaking the insulation may be soaked in some areas.
So going over the old roof probably isn’t the best idea.

An IB walkable membrane is an excellent choice.

Excuse my ignorance, what is an IB walkable membrane? and is this better than having rubber walkpads?

[quote=“-Axiom-”]Properly applied a torchdown roof is a very good roof.

An IB walkable membrane is an excellent choice.[/quote]

It is PVC roofing that is designed for roofs with a lot of foot traffic.

Is this membrane safe to use instead of walkpads. I.E, Can you put patio furniture on it?

[quote=“wethead4”]

Is this membrane safe to use instead of walkpads. I.E, Can you put patio furniture on it?[/quote]

Sorry for the load of questions, and i appreciate all the feedback. Our roofer is also suggesting we silvercoat the roof which would provide UV protection. It’s a 5k job, is it worthwhile in your opinion? also with this walkable membrane, would walkpads still be needed?

ibroof.com/IBinfo/res_deckshield.html

here is a more detailed overview of IB DeckShield - coolflatroof.com/roof-deck.php - and yes, it’s a great product …

[quote=“-Axiom-”]Properly applied a torchdown roof is a very good roof.

An IB walkable membrane is an excellent choice.[/quote]

Or you can just do the right thing and tear-off the old roof and then choose the best new roof for your building/house/whatever. Re-roofs over wet insulation is never a good idea, as the moisture can cause structural damage, fastener failure, blisters, etc.

[quote=“wethead4”]

Is this membrane safe to use instead of walkpads. I.E, Can you put patio furniture on it?

Sorry for the load of questions, and i appreciate all the feedback. Our roofer is also suggesting we silvercoat the roof which would provide UV protection. It’s a 5k job, is it worthwhile in your opinion? also with this walkable membrane, would walkpads still be needed?[/quote]

No not just aluminum coat the roof, there is no value in doing that at this stage if you existing roof is already blistered.

As for the PVC, I certainly wouldn’t use it on a patio where there is furniture set on top of the membrane, that is unless you like tears and punctures in your new roof. Of course, most roofs will have similar problems, which is why as a roofing and waterproofing consultant I always recommend installing a wood deck or wearing-slab and tile, etc

@ Cerberus

I dropped my snips onto a PVC deck roof (fully adhered over dens-deck) blades down, and they bounced right off the roof - no pictures, no tear … And what about all these balcony roofs in big condo buildings with DeckShield and similar membrane roofs - why are they so popular?

[quote=“LAMetalRoofs”]@ Cerberus

I dropped my snips onto a PVC deck roof (fully adhered over dens-deck) blades down, and they bounced right off the roof - no pictures, no tear … And what about all these balcony roofs in big condo buildings with DeckShield and similar membrane roofs - why are they so popular?[/quote]

And I’ve done a warranty transfer inspection on a PVC roof awhile back, and the Sarnafil rep. actually went around and repaired several gouges and punctures in the roof. Soooooooooooo, apparently they can be punctured.

Once again, I like PVC, but few want to spend that kind of money on a single-ply membrane.