Flat tires

So far this year we’ve spent $9000 on flat tires and replacements. is there a product for tires that is solid so this wont happen? its on our dump trucks and trailers.

I believe it’s called a magnet. :wink:

LMAO!!

i was gonna say that but i thought somebody would call me smart azz :smiley:

we have a winner

A magnet won’t help you once get to the dump.

i have found that making the driver responsible for tire repairs works great they will take the extra effort to check for nails,yea its gonna happen once in a while thats why i always get used tires for the dump truck, I only get a couple of flats a year,$100 tires find a lot more nails than a $10 tire whys that? :roll:

Dump trailers and dump trucks can drop lot of nails on the ground over a short period. Magnet your shop yard once a week diligently. Do this for a year and you will see a reduced cost in tire repairs.

Pulling trailers is a dangerous sport…add 2-3 tons and it gets even worse. New and maintained tires will make it safe for your driver and everyone around him.

No…I don’t sell tires. I know what its like to be forced to pull an empty dump trailer with balled tires…Have tires blow 65MPH and perform a cookie in the middle of the freeway. Glad I didn’t have a full load.

I have the guys magnet the yard at least twice a week and anytime they unload their trucks. It has cut our flat tire problem to 2-3 a year. Foam tires on the wheel barrels and problem solved.

A few weeks ago brought the dually to my mechanic to have some brake work done and he plugged 13 holes! The tires are cheap and only a couple years old with 30K miles on them and I need new ones. He plugs tires very cheap so didn’t really spent a lot having it done. One of my dump trailers has more plugs in the tires than I care to count. Amazingly three of the four tirs have been on the trailer since 2003.

One thing other than a lot of magnet sweeping to prevent nails from getting into the tires is to run the thickest ply tires you can buy. Most commonly with a nominal diamater rim you can only run 10 ply or E load but when you go to 19.5, 22.5, or 24.5 in rims you can run some very high ply tires which will see a huge reduction in nail punctures. I’m seriously thinking about Rickson direct bolt on 19.5in rims for my dually but they aren’t cheap. With the high ply tires I will see a huge jump in longevity.

A guy at the dump pulls out his magnet sweep before he backs up every time.

maybe some better employees and some job training along w/ the new magnet would solve the problem.

Or just do what you’ve been doing… SELL MORE ROOFS.

That is a scary thought…

Try a different landfill. In my area there are 3. One is horrible and every time I go there I get a nail or screw in at least 1 tire. It is cheap (50.00 for any size load) The other is well kept but charge 8.00 per yard. So, it costs about 15.00 extra to dump my trailer there, but I never get any flat tires.

I also get out and run the magnet before I backup to dump in the dumping area. Most landfills have people dump then push the debris later. The unloading area is the most prominent spot for nails. So I run my roller magnet in the area that I will be unloading to help avoid problems.

How about buying a tire plug kit? If you spend that much money, how bout buying road hazard coverage on your new tires…

just patch them or start using tubes instead of new tires…

i like the idea of making employees responsible…to bad i have no employees to hold accountable! damn

Marc

run it before you back up to dump the truck. you want believe what you find on the thing tho.

[quote=“MAYNIAC”]Try a different landfill. In my area there are 3. One is horrible and every time I go there I get a nail or screw in at least 1 tire. It is cheap (50.00 for any size load) The other is well kept but charge 8.00 per yard. So, it costs about 15.00 extra to dump my trailer there, but I never get any flat tires.
.[/quote]

its unreal how cheap it is to dump in some of your states. it cost me $200 to dump a standard 3500 dump truck at most land fills here. and if i have a clean load of just shingles it costs like $125 to bring it to the recycling plant.

$33 a load for me

i have a 5 gallon bucket of Slime Pro on its way. ill use that in our tires. supposed to seal up to 3/8" punctures. cost about $250.

should have kept my mouth shut,i got 2 at the same time :evil:

After watching most roofers and even carpenters tossing nail all over the place. I even told them when you pull a nail secure the nail in a tin can etc. Come on it’s not that hard to secure old nails