Flat walk-out roof with foot traffic. Which material to use?

Hi, I am a home owner in Michigan. We have a small flat walk-out roof with a railing around two sides. It is currently rubber. The other two sides have a shingle roof sloping down onto the rubber roof. The snow really piles up on the rubber roof and as you can imagine, every snow storm I have to go up there and shovel the snow off.

The rubber roof lasted about 10 years and has now shrunk and is pulling away from under the edge of the two adjacent roofs. It is also so hot in the summer we can’t enjoy the space as a walk out area. And last of all, it has started to leak so we are looking at replacing it.

What light/white color roofing material/system would be best for this space. Factors(some foot traffic, shoveling snow off it, light in color) I would like to find a material that lasts a long time so we don’t have to replace it often. The tougher the better.

Thanks, Bill.

[quote=“miltruckman”]Hi, I am a home owner in Michigan. We have a small flat walk-out roof with a railing around two sides. It is currently rubber. The other two sides have a shingle roof sloping down onto the rubber roof. The snow really piles up on the rubber roof and as you can imagine, every snow storm I have to go up there and shovel the snow off.

The rubber roof lasted about 10 years and has now shrunk and is pulling away from under the edge of the two adjacent roofs. It is also so hot in the summer we can’t enjoy the space as a walk out area. And last of all, it has started to leak so we are looking at replacing it.

What light/white color roofing material/system would be best for this space. Factors(some foot traffic, shoveling snow off it, light in color) I would like to find a material that lasts a long time so we don’t have to replace it often. The tougher the better.

Thanks, Bill.[/quote]

My suggestion is a good torch on roof ( three ply ) and then build or have built a cedar deck on top…

my $0.02…
johne5

There are several products out there that are specifically designed for trafficable decks that don’t need a " floating timber deck on top"
PVC is the tougher membrane and it won’t oxidize in the UV. They are fully adhered to the substrate so you may have to put down a new plywood “skin” over your existing. Your rubber will have to come off, otherwise it will sweat under the new membrane system.
We install Dec-K-ing ourselves so are a bit bias, but there are a few others out there.
Check it out. They DO last 15+ years, even in your climate.
dec-k-ing.com
duradek.com/
weatherdek.com/

Make sure you use 60mil if its over a habitable space and don’t be fooled by other imitations that use fibreglass reinforcement, make sure the pvc has polyester reinforcement.

I agree with Mike. We have had much success with Dec-K-ing. Durodec is good too, but personally I like to colors in the dec-k-ing