Flooded home and an unfinished roof with clouds on the horizon

Hey there, first time poster, not a roofer, just a homeowner with half a roof job and a flooded home.

I’ll try to keep it as short as i can.

Hired a nationwide roofing franchise to put a new roof on our 1100 sq foot flat roof, and after reboarding with plywood yet before any kind of base layer, the rain was looming so they tarped it and said they’d be back after the rain stopped. They promised the tarp would keep the rain off, and not to worry.

Well I was worried, and rightly so, as at 4am, I had water pouring in the window frame right above the headboard of my bed, flowing forward in to the room and down the wall, saturating the carpet and presumably inside the wall, and down to the living room below and beyond. Got on the roof to find 3 inches deep water, as the tarp was covering the downspouts, and started shoveling off the water with a snow shovel. Clearly the tarp had holes in it (there’s a story to why there are holes in the tarp, too long to get in to)

Again, to skip over a ridiculous morning of excuses and a whole host of other concerns (I think they started laying down the first layer of membrane right over wet plywood) the roof seems to be sealed up. The problem is, my bedroom, and the living room below, particularly the exterior wall, is drenched.

They’ve got a dehumidifier in our bedroom with a couple of those blue snail fans blowing at the walls and ceiling, but what the fck is that gonna do? Wouldnt the insulation in the walls and the ceiling, be soaked? How would it dry out without opening the walls? Theyve told me it’s no problem and that the walls and ceiling insulation will just dry out on their own. Really? Should I be buying a top off the line moisture meter tomorrow? It’s Monday night now, this began 4 am Sunday morning.

Fun Fact - we are uninsured. When we bought the house one year ago, the age of the roof (28 years) prompted the insurance company to write in an exception - any water damage related to the roof is not covered until we get a new roof. Never thought the process of getting a new roof would have been when we got some not-covered damage. Hindsight suggests I should have bought a temporary insurance policy for when the work was done? Never crossed my mind. Fckn hindsight!

Anyway, there are too many sides to this story. My question for you guys is, do I start opening the walls anywhere the water was travelling, and just hope I won’t be footing every penny of what that’s going to cost me to put it all back together. And, do roofers have insurance for this kind of thing? Or is it assumed that the homeowners insurance is intact to deal with it?

Thanks for the read

Roofer’s insurance will cover it. if not, their bond will. You might need a lawyer if the home office starts blowing smoke…

1 Like

Thanks, that’s reassuring. The guy has opened up the walls and ceiling in the bedroom, and yanked some wet insulation (the vapour barrier in the ceiling was bulging with water. Now they’ve opened the roof up again to dry out any water that got under the base layer. Rain tomorrow…

Im just amazed that they didn’t check the forecast for rain?

Also, some roofers would use a synthetic water proof felt membrane just for this reason - just in case it rains before they are able to lay down the shingles.

But shingling over wet underlayment is a big no no. Once it dries, it cause problems.

What do you do for a living?

I’ve shingles over wet or frosty underlayment probably 1000 times in my life. The exact number of issues it caused me is 0.

4 Likes

What kind of underlayment do you use and whats the age of the oldest house you’ve done?

I do alot of things. Im a general in my native country, a top tier researcher, military weapons reasearcher, automotive, hair dresser license, etc etc. I do it all.

Im just getting into the roofing scene because I have to replace my own roof.

I’m the same. We’ve shingled during summer showers. For years the new plastic bundles will have wet shingles that I install. The old paper bundles were so bad that if the yard got rain, we would get wet shingles, with the bundle falling limp on your shoulder as you humped it up the ladder. Never have had an issue in 30 plus years of wet underlayment.

3 Likes

There is only one thing you must remember. “Water, unobstructed, will seek it’s own level.”

Honestly, I don’t understand that line. I think a better to describe waters characteristics:

It exerts pressure in all directions
It’s clings to things like glue
It’s the most powerful solvent in the world
It can travel via capillary action

Unobstructed…it seeks it’s own level. C’mon grasshopper, get with the program.

Tesla,
You are a weird dude. What is this home country in which you are building homes, launching missiles and cutting hair. I want to make sure I never buy a vacation home there. Are you running for Prime Minister there also?

1 Like

That’s good. Don’t want any foreigners in there to try and steal my land and resources anyways.

:slight_smile:

No shingles. Flat roof. The product is called a “Modified Asphalt / Self-Adhered Elastomeric 2-ply Membrane”. No torch. Basically a peel-and-stick. 10 year warranty.

Sounds fine to me. The product is not the issue.

The two issues I’ve got are -

1 - my bedroom and living room below have walls and ceilings showing 100 on the moisture meter and the ‘in-house’ restoration job is mediocre at best.

2 - I think the plywood base layer they’re adhering the first layer of membrane to is wet. They keep telling me it’s not, but I can climb ladders too, and I have photos.

The job has gone sideways

I love it and feel the same.

They should have immediately called Serv Pro or a similar home disaster clean up company to do the remediation work. They are trying to avoid filing with their insurance claim. Demand they stop work and bring in a home inspector and a Registered Roof Consultant.

Modified membrane cannot be installed over wet underlayment or decking. Unlike shingles, the water has no where to go and gets trapped in the system. You will have blistering within 2 years and the manufacturer will not honor the warranty because that is against their installation guidelines.

Call a Serv Pro or similar company to come in and give a quote on removing the moisture and fixing the damage. Then have the roof consultant give you a scope of work to correct the roof.

Be up front with the roofer of the steps you are taking and they may bite the bullet and do it right before you have to. Worst case is you file a claim with your homeowners insurance and they sue the company and their insurance to get it paid for.

1 Like